2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got an 06 manual 1.8 EX that's been nice and reliable for the last 5 years that I've owned it, but I've been having an intermittent issue for the last 4 months or so that seems to be happening more frequently (although still only once a week or so). The problem is that I will be happily driving along and then suddenly I find I can't change down to 1st or 2nd gear. The gear stick simply wont go to the left of the centre of the "gate", so I'm left with just 3rd gear and above to choose from. Of course this usually happens when I'm pulling up at lights or in a lay-by on a very busy A road, so I get the fun of pulling (slowly) away again in 3rd. Once I pull away the problem usually disappears within a few minutes. I haven't noticed anything unusual that causes the issue, or found a way to fix it while stopped.

I mentioned the problem when I took the car in for a service a few weeks ago, but as it's so intermittent they just said they tried to reproduce the problem but couldn't. So - has anyone seen this before or have any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
It seems I should have searched a bit more thoroughly:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/17194-not-able-stick-gear-sometimes-1-8-vtec.html

That thread mentions a lot of issues selecting gears, particularly 1st and 2nd. Quite a lot seem to be about it being "difficult" - in my case, it's absolutely impossible. Lots of people talking about synchros being replaced though - anybody know if that's likely to be my issue, and if so what that would cost?

Cheers,

Rich
I have this issue when switching down from 3rd, it seems that I'm pushing too hard to the left, cos no amount of forcing will make it go, but if I gently ease it into gear (without pushing all the way to the left) then it is so smooth that it feels brand new, is there some way that a dealer could prevent the gearstick from going so far to the left? My car is 2 weeks away from warranty end

1 - 4 of 4 Posts