2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , can anyone recommend a oil for a type r 2010 no engine mods driven a little hard at times where appropriate ;) also I,m looking at getting my local garage to change oil and filter ( only as it is1/4 mile from house stratstone is 20 miles ) , how much should it cost to have it changed also will it affect my warranty someone else doing it even I have a proper oil filter fitted and a real good oil . Many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
5w-40 fully synthetic.

You'll probably find with 5w-30 that you need to keep topping it up more often, because it is thinner these engines tend to use more of it.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
As loxy said, go for Silkolene Pro S or as it's now been renamed to Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W 40. A lot of type r owners use this as do i and it comes highly recommended, get this and the hamp oil filter (made for japanese cars) and also a magnetic sump plug to keep it clean ;). Had mine done at a local garage charged me half hour labour

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As loxy said, go for Silkolene Pro S or as it's now been renamed to Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W 40. A lot of type r owners use this as do i and it comes highly recommended, get this and the hamp oil filter (made for japanese cars) and also a magnetic sump plug to keep it clean ;). Had mine done at a local garage charged me half hour labour
Best place to pick this up from please ?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I'm going for the HKS filter, and I use unipart oil (made by opie or someone similar I believe). I'll do mine myself, shouldn't be too hard :) I run 5w40.

Tom

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Best place to pick this up from please ?
I got my oil from Opie Oils - car oil and motorbike oil sales and recommendations they have an offer on now you buy 5ltrs and get 1ltr free for your top ups they also do the hamp filters but i got my filter from tegiwa (as i didn't check opieoils site for this) and my magnetic sump plug from here Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? | Number 1 for oil filter magnets and drain plugs# they claim it's the most powerful magnetic sump plug, the vids they have are worth a watch as you dont think about your engine producing micro filings and then being pumped back around.
Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? - Video Demonstration.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
As above, like loxy said 5w 40 is thicker so you will burn less, were you topping up much using 0w 30. The fuchs is made for high reving engines so would highly recommend it and like i said the hamp oil filter is designed by honda an upgrade from the oem version made for vtec engines and is used by spoon racing it increases your oil pressure and has a release valve that adjusts to the filter conditions. If your service is coming up id change to both of these but if your getting it done at honda check to see if they mind using your own products. Click opies links above and treat your car ;).

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Hi dweezie, yeah been pretty much using castrol edge.I think ill try the fuchs,ive already got the hamp filter and mag sump plug.
Just one other question,ive got two hamp filters the shorty and the standard,is it ok to use the shorty filter with a standard oil sump?

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Not sure mate, i got mine from opie when i ordered my oil so whatever that one is, but tegiwa imports have both listed under service parts for the fn2 so looks like both are fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2 cents worth
I am not sure how readily available this is but I use Amsoil Signature series 5W30 Fully synthetic & their filter I did over 20k with my last change when I decided to strip the engine down after 80k with a SC & put forged internals in & I can tell you it all looked brand new inside the engine, I noticed the engine ran cooler, and is a little better on fuel
I also used their tranny fluid which fixed the 3rd gear issue
2007 HONDA CIVIC 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code K20Z3 - AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

1 - 18 of 18 Posts