2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka Brilliantsportyblue
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound quality question for sound tech buffs.
Probably a simple query...

Why is it that that if music is streamed via iPod/iPhone using usb the sound has much higher mids and treble but very little bass.

The exact same music files burnt to cd via iTunes and played through the stereo has much less mid, treble with fuller mid-bass and heavy bass.

??

Another question. Anybody know the details of the sub installed in the boot?

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Sound quality question for sound tech buffs.
Probably a simple query...

Why is it that that if music is streamed via iPod/iPhone using usb the sound has much higher mids and treble but very little bass.

The exact same music files burnt to cd via iTunes and played through the stereo has much less mid, treble with fuller mid-bass and heavy bass.

Is it the audio settings (graphic equalizer) on the ipod/iphone that are altering the sound quality as well?

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
GF is right

However, in a car with all the engine and road noise around you I don't think it matters how pure the sound is.

Having tried all manner of formats I'm now fixed to putting MP3's on a USB stick. The HDD would be fine if it didn't just stick to playing one album over and over and not progressing to the next one, unlike the USB that plays from start to finish of what's on the USB before it starts again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
oldskool cds from back then were often rips of vinyl tracks and not proper digital quality. I was djing back then and still do now using cdj's and mp3s and nothing will beat a 320bit rate mps on your stereo. Best thing to do is get rid of the abysmal stock head unit and upgrade it to an after market model, it will make a massive difference.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Ive noticed that streaming through bluetooth (through Parrot) is the worst quality when turned up, however if I plug my iPod or iPhone into the parrot it dramatically improves. However I do try and download my music at 320kbs. Havent used CD's in ages though.

But I do have a sub installed in my civic with an inbuild amp so it does sound good.

Remember the days of tapes? I think i was the last generation to use them...

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
I remember the days of 8 track cassettes! :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
I always rip my CDs at 320 kbps (or 256 kbps if it's not an important piece). There's is no noticeable difference in 320 kbps VBR mp3 and a CD. Not in automotive application at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts