2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i'm looking to get better sound quality and a good bass kick as i listen to a lot of rap and R&B.

i want too keep the stock head unit (2010 type S GT0 to save money, but want all new speakers and a sub and amp?

how much would this roughly cost?

·
drives a shed now
1,433 Posts
hi all, i'm looking to get better sound quality and a good bass kick as i listen to a lot of rap and R&B.

i want too keep the stock head unit (2010 type S GT0 to save money, but want all new speakers and a sub and amp?

how much would this roughly cost?
I'm not the guy to answer, but there will be those in the know that will find this thread. Can you give any idea of the budget you have?

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I'm sure someone did mention even changing the head unit can make the existing speakers sound better.

It all depends on your budget, do you want pure power or quality of the sound? Brands like Focal and Rockford Fosgate are very good but can cost serious £££ and then you will need dynamat, cables and maybe a custom boot install?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
The problem is the standard headunit is pants, it has no preouts for amplifiers has no inputs unless you have a facelift version and the sound quality is shockingly bad.
As quoted above, change the headunit and all this changes, even the standard speakers dont sound half bad.
If you stick with the standard headunit you could add a loc line out which will give you preouts to add an amplifier and get window shattering noise but thats all it will be because you are amplifing the poor sound quality coming from the headunit.

The best advice is to ditch the headunit there are some great offers on from various website's buy second hand if you are on a tight budget like I did (gumtree) and go from there, but dont think by adding better quality speakers to the standard headunit that you are going to make it sound any better, yes you can make it louder but that doesnt mean better.
Wardy

·
drives a shed now
1,433 Posts
Sound advice from Wardy, and I agree from novice experience.
Was going to try new speakers and amp, but decided I'd change HU to a Pumpkin unit. And the sound from stock speakers is way much better. So am not bothering to upgrade them yet. Big bang for the buck given I now also have SatNav and other toys from this HU.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I've literally just come from the stock stereo to a Sony head unit, and just that alone makes such a huge difference. I don't understand why they put a relatively poor low powered unit in with big ass speakers. They aren't mind blowing bass, but they can get pretty heavy.

As the others have suggested, I'd try changing the stereo. £120~ for the fascia, then what ever you want for a single or double din stereo. Bigger the built in amp better.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice guys, I think in the case I would go for a touch screen head unit and see if that satisfies me. will probably keep an eye out on here for a second hand facia and head unit and get everything a bit at a time.

thanks again folks!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
A new head unit would indeed be a good option, however if you're just looking for improved sound quality rather than additional features, adding an amp to the stock head unit also makes a huge difference.

If you're really confident with a soldering iron you can get pre-outs from the stock unit, or just use a LOC.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/12087-how-make-pre-outs.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts