2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the speaker systems in the new 2012 Civic? I have the Diesel ES version and have not added any extras. I've started to drive a lot in the car and am finding that the speakers are a bit lackluster. I'm not after turning the car in to a portable disco, just a nicer sound when driving.

Could anyone advise what speakers I would need to replace the stock standard issue? I'm not really after specific recommended models but rather what type / how many speakers I'd need.

I would appreciate any help

Regards Trevor

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think the ES is the standard 4 speaker setup (unlike the 8G ES which has seperate tweeters in the dash as well).

You could possibly retro-fit the 9G EX boot located sub, which would give you more bottom end. Not sure if the standard head unit would support that though.

Failing that, its replacing the existing speakers with uprated aftermarket ones of the same size. You are always going to be limited by that head unit though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Have you tried reducing the treble. If you plug an iphone/ ipod into system via usb and use eq setting such as "loudness", the resulting sound is quite good.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
At time of purchase of the Civic, I didn't want leather seats so I didnt get the model which has the upgraded system. It has 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters and 1 subwoofer in the rear. Anyways, I still dont think it would sound as good as the one in the Accord saloon I used to own. It had 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 1 centre speaker, 2 parcel shelf speakers and the subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
At time of purchase of the Civic, I didn't want leather seats so I didnt get the model which has the upgraded system. It has 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters and 1 subwoofer in the rear. Anyways, I still dont think it would sound as good as the one in the Accord saloon I used to own. It had 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 1 centre speaker, 2 parcel shelf speakers and the subwoofer.

The premium system in the Accord is a tough act to follow - its recognised as one of the best OEM systems in the business. That's probably part of your problem.

·
Derv Driver
464 Posts
Thread jack...

You could possibly retro-fit the 9G EX boot located sub, which would give you more bottom end. Not sure if the standard head unit would support that though.
Has anyone tried retrofitting this into the 8th gen?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Derv Driver
464 Posts
Thanks, but not for that price I wouldn't. Then I'd rather just build a custom enclosure with a Hertz jobbie into that space :(

·
Derv Driver
464 Posts
I've tried finding a scrapped 8th gen once- was frowned at and told the things don't get scrapped :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
In about 2-3 weeks time, I'll be replacing the OEM speakers (dual cone with plastic woofer - maybe Panasonic brand?) with aftermarket ones. I have ordered the parts from various sellers on ebay.

As I don't want to drill into the door panel I'll be using special speaker spacers and an adapter for the wires.

As for the speaker itself, I selected a Kenwood 6.5" 3-way speaker that has lower power requirements than their higher-end units with high sensitivity. The factory head unit is probably 2 ohm, so the new speakers (4 ohm) may sound softer than normal.

If the new setup does not sound good, I will just resell the goods on ebay. I don't want to go through the hassle of adding a separate amplifier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts