2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm just about to PX my 08/09 diesel Civic hatch for a MY15 Tourer SR (can't wait...).

I've got a space-saver for my current 16" wheels, but the dealer seemed to suggest that the current space-saver wouldn't be suitable for the 17" wheels on the new one?

Now, I've had a look at the Tyres and Wheels wiki, as well as the Cox Motorparts catalogue, and both seem to suggest that the overall diameter of all the wheel sizes are practically the same/there is only 1 space-saver available?! :facepalm:

So, does this mean I can use my current space-saver for the new car (I assume the pitch/BCD is the same)?

Apologies if this is obvious to some of you, but I've searched over and over, so thought I'd bite the bullet and ask.

Thanks

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,405 Posts
I'm 99% sure that they are the same. Check the new car for a toolkit/jack though because I know the MY13's don't have one.

Reactions: Waverer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks for coming back to me. Suspect the jack/toolkit will follow the wheel [smilie=whistle.gif]

Hopefully not long to wait now!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,405 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you have 16, 17, 18 or 19 inch wheels the tyrewall is reduced appropriately so the overall circumference is the same.

If it wasn't the speedo and mileometer would be inaccurate.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for coming back to me. Suspect the jack/toolkit will follow the wheel [smilie=whistle.gif]

Hopefully not long to wait now!
Hi there,

Have you taken delivery of your new tourer yet? And did it come with the jack and toolkit?

I will be taking delivery of my new tourer this Thursday and I am part exchanging a 10 plate civic so I am in the same situation as you. My space saver spare wheel is already moved out of the 8G and is sitting in the garage waiting for the 9G. I hope my new car has the jack and toolkit, otherwise [smilie=whistle.gif]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I picked it up on Friday afternoon (and it is excellent and worth the wait...).

No toolkit and no jack; just the towing eye bolt stuff, tyre-repair kit and compressor in the smaller of the two under-floor spaces in the boot (between the boot lip and the main 'wheel-space). That space (which includes a net-pack/kit thing for fully separating the boot from the cabin), does have a space for the jack to go into, a slot for a warning triangle, and there is enough free space for the tyre iron tool wrap to go in, and a big umbrella to go in there as well.

For mounting the space-saver spare, you'll see a square bit under the carpet - if you feel about on this, you can feel a plastic screw which is blanking out the hole that the wheel retaining bolt goes into. The carpet just needs cutting away to get to this (if you look in your 8G you should see they did this before. The liner is thicker in the new wheel-well though so take care with the knife!

You'll need some foam packers to lift and level the wheel though (like there are in the 8G, but mine wouldn't come off the boot floor), as without anything, the retaining bolt bottoms out before it is secure.

Sorry that's so long, but hope it is useful!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
I honestly don't know why you don't demand a spare when signing on the dotted line for the car? I'm pretty sure the dealer would rather throw one in than lose a sale as the Civic isn't exactly a cheap car nor is the 9g as state of the Art as the 8g was when it came out...

Reactions: Nitehawk

·
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Perfect answer.

I now know what to do...

I managed to prise my 3 foam pads off the carpet yesterday from the 8G so that they are ready for the new car.

Honda just telephoned me a minute ago to let me choose my registration, so that's done.

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about everything.

Cheers, buddy.

Tim

·
1,168 Posts
I honestly don't know why you don't demand a spare when signing on the dotted line for the car? I'm pretty sure the dealer would rather throw one in than lose a sale as the Civic isn't exactly a cheap car nor is the 9g as state of the Art as the 8g was when it came out...
The way I squeezed the dealer on the price I paid, you know when to stop squeezing. Believe me, the deal I got would stun anyone. I always get fab deals on new cars, but this one has stunned even me.

Apart from which, I didn't need another space saver as I already bought a new one for my 8G which will be part exchanged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wish I'd taken my Jack out of my 58 SE, but the dealer never mentioned I didn't get a jack without a space saver.

Mulled it over last night, and tbh, I do so much motorway driving, where you shouldn't get out and change a flat on the hard shoulder, and my bank has breakdown cover anyway. Still wish I had a jack though, for those odd occasions when you need to take a tyre off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts