2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a slightly used space saver from a 2nd hand tyre dealer for my 2012 G9 civic and we tried it and it fitted fine... However I'm concerned that it's the correct one for my car and have a question...

My alloy wheels are 16'' but not sure if 15" wheel would fit in case they were 15" on the previous generations? This is not to say the one I acquired is 15"...i need to measure that.

Also does the car come with any lifting jack as standard since I've not seen one in the boot?

Any suggestions most welcome as I hate to get a punctured tyre on the motorway and discover my space saver is incorrect!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Regarding the jack, wheelbrace, etc, that has to be bought also, it's not standard. I was lucky when I bought my car the previous owner paid out for the spare wheel kit direct from Honda. The jack and stuff is in a bag in the left hand cubby hole. My car is also on standard 16" wheels so I will check my space saver for its size and report back!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
The only problem you may have - is to get a warning light on your dash, for the VSA - telling you, that one of the wheels is spinning faster than the rest.

For example: I needed to bring back my wife's Jazz '09, but didn't have a spare, so asked a friend with a Yaris '05 for his tyre, which was 14" and our Jazz is EX and it's on 16", and there was quite a difference in diameter - but luckily it didn't rub anywhere (calipers, etc.)
Also it was a journey through the city, so the light came up when I reached 40MPH, but that was it - no problem what so ever.

The result was deactivated VSA for the journey. After fixing the tyre and going out for a test drive - the VSA was back to normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for some very useful information much appreciated... One thing I've learned is that the space saver needs to be fitted to the rear of the car and not the front driving wheels.

I've managed to locate a scissor jack in one of the cubby holes along with the wheel nut spanner, a screwdriver and a bar of metal which I assume is for rotating the jack?

I've also located an air pump in the other cubby hole :)

However, can someone tell me how to remove the jack from the cubby hole as it seems to be fixed to something and where about are the jacking positions?

I've also managed to confirm the size of the space saver as 135/80/16....

One other thing I'm not sure about is how the space saver is secured inside the boot as I don't have a butterfly type long screw and 2ndly I can't see a whole in the bottom where the screw would fit... The carpet seems solid without any hole for this purpose?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
'One thing I've learned is that the space saver needs to be fitted to the rear of the car and not the front driving wheels.'
- Why, it's fine to be on the front axle as well - you should always be aware that you are driving with a spare - so no extreme braking, turning or starts, otherwise it's fine. Also - no more than 80km/h (50MPH).

'I've managed to locate a scissor jack in one of the cubby holes along with the wheel nut spanner, a screwdriver and a bar of metal which I assume is for rotating the jack? '
- That's correct.

'I've also located an air pump in the other cubby hole :)'
- Good, I just managed to compare it to a chinese look a like - the one provided by Honda needs 20 times less time, to inflate the tyre - it's amazing!

'However, can someone tell me how to remove the jack from the cubby hole as it seems to be fixed to something and where about are the jacking positions? '
- Sometimes it's a bit expanded, to stay in place, so unwind it a bit on hand, to become flat and you'll manage to get it out of there easily!

'I've also managed to confirm the size of the space saver as 135/80/16....'
- This is the stock size to the 8G, so it's probably the same with the 9G!

'One other thing I'm not sure about is how the space saver is secured inside the boot as I don't have a butterfly type long screw and 2ndly I can't see a whole in the bottom where the screw would fit... The carpet seems solid without any hole for this purpose?'
- I had the same question, but since I found 135/90 D16 instead of 135/80 D16 - it barely fits and doesn't move at all - so no worries for butterfly bolts on my side. But still you can check if it moves too much without bolting it to the floor I guess ...

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
To secure to the floor you need to cut the carpet and also purchase the bolt, you can also buy a bag to put the wheel in if you need to change it. To be honest the wheel is a snug fit and does not require to be bolted down. Jacking points are indicated by little raised arrow heads near the front and rear axles. Best to locate these in the dry when it is light so you know where they are. Sods law ensures a puncture that requires a wheel replaced happens when it is dark and raining when you are far away from home

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Thanks all for some very useful information much appreciated... One thing I've learned is that the space saver needs to be fitted to the rear of the car and not the front driving wheels.

I've managed to locate a scissor jack in one of the cubby holes along with the wheel nut spanner, a screwdriver and a bar of metal which I assume is for rotating the jack?

I've also located an air pump in the other cubby hole :)

However, can someone tell me how to remove the jack from the cubby hole as it seems to be fixed to something and where about are the jacking positions?

I've also managed to confirm the size of the space saver as 135/80/16....

One other thing I'm not sure about is how the space saver is secured inside the boot as I don't have a butterfly type long screw and 2ndly I can't see a whole in the bottom where the screw would fit... The carpet seems solid without any hole for this purpose?

There has been some discussion about this in the past. From memory it's only the TypeR with the larger brakes where this is an issue. Non TypeR and the spare will fit all corners.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Iceman1234 Hi read your post concerning the space saver. Any chance you can post up a photograph of the scissor showing the top of the jack please.
Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted to share this. Purchased a spare space saver wheel T135/80D16 Tried this on the front wheel. Wheel fits OK.
Purchased a Honda Accord Form jack and tools If you move the space wheel slightly to one side.
Place the form horizontally. It fits OK. No need for any cutting etc. No need for space wheel retaining bolt. No need to cut the carpet. The cover closes flush with the boot floor.

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
As I understand it, it's only the TypeR with its larger brakes that stop the stock spare being fitted to the front.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
^^^^^______ correct... and also so it's a better match on rolling circumference for 17 & 18" wheels is another factor.
It was also marketed as a light weight spare wheel for the type R's

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys
The spare wheel info was obtained from the forum. Some mentioned the 15" wheel fitted to the rear but not the front. So went for T135/80D16. I fitted the wheel to my civic. I have not driven the car with the spare on. I hope it is OK !!. I tried the jack and wheel spanner they fit OK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts