2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of info. If you go onto the nasa website, you can see all pre-launch, and take off, live. Watch it via RealPlayer, or Windows Media (best for full screen).

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another Shuttle launch to-night if your interested. I think it's just after midnight.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
It was impressive... as Usual !

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Did anyone see the space station being chased by the shuttle last night, not on telly but outdoors. The space station appeared in the west at 10:30 and past overhead, followed 2 or so minutes later by the shuttle. You can see the space station again tonight, but they are likely to have docked. 9:18pm and again at 10:53pm, although according to the web page below the shuttle should follow the space station at 10:56pm.

Look west, 10 degrees above the horizon, you can't miss it.

Welcome to Heavens-Above!

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Did anyone see the space station being chased by the shuttle last night, not on telly but outdoors. The space station appeared in the west at 10:30 and past overhead, followed 2 or so minutes later by the shuttle. You can see the space station again tonight, but they are likely to have docked. 9:18pm and again at 10:53pm, although according to the web page below the shuttle should follow the space station at 10:56pm.

Welcome to Heavens-Above!
It is too rainy and cold here (11°c at 1 PM) to go out and see the shuttle... And I will miss the "shooting star" rain tonight :-( too much clouds !

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Welcome to Heavens-Above![/quote

Thanks for that Richie. I'll have a look tonight.... if the weather holds out ;).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rather than looking up to the skies I'll probably spend the time trawling the TV for the millions of people that could have been aided with 1/10th of the NASA budget.

It's very hard to get excited when thousands of small kids parched and deformed for the want of a handful of rice and a cup of water.

Now if oil was found in those countries what a different story it would be !

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rather than looking up to the skies I'll probably spend the time trawling the TV for the millions of people that could have been aided with 1/10th of the NASA budget.

It's very hard to get excited when thousands of small kids parched and deformed for the want of a handful of rice and a cup of water.

I don't think you should point your finger at NASA. Point it at Mugabe. His country has had millions of pounds for aid, but it went into his back pocket.
We're off topic...... I always follow the Shuttle flights live, on
North American Search Authority (NASA)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts

What has this got to do with the Space Shuttle? What countries in particular do you refer to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What has this got to do with the Space Shuttle? What countries in particular do you refer to?
Totally needless exploration of space costing Billions while the world stands by and watches atrocities, civil wars and famine all over the African continent for starters.

Sierra Leone, Sudan, Darfur, What's the difference between Mugabe and Saddam ? Eritrea, Ethopia, Madagascar. Want me to go on ?

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The Americans also supply Millions of dollars of aid to these countries, so although they are spending a lot on space exploration they are probably the biggest doners of food aid into Africa.

The results of Mugabes faults in Zimbabwe may manifest themselves in a similar way to Saddam in Iraq, but I don't think Mugabe has ever considered invading his neighbours or wiping out huge numbers of people (although this is happening, it is in a different way).

The sad thing is that the West will not step in to sort Zimbabwe out, it would not reflect well on the decisions taken in the late 70's to offer full independence, although the truth if the matter is that the region was probably on a slippery slope since well before then when we tried to merge Southern Rhodesia and Malawi.

Whereever country boundaries conflict with age old tribal boundaries there will be conflict, this is no different to religious differences in Ireland, Yugoslavia or Iraq. I am not sure if there is a magic pill that will fix this situation.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
We need to find another planet to inhabit and you have to start somewhere. Whether we ever will is another matter.

Our planet is being eroded at an alarming rate every day by massive machines that relentlessly take giant bites from its surface. Take a grain per day from a bag of sugar and one day that bag will be empty.

I bet similar criticism was levelled at the great explorers who set sail in search of 'new worlds'.

We have poured £billions into Africa and nothing seems to change, except I did read once that there are now more millionaires in Addis Ababa than in New York!

Ps: Can we get back to the shuttle now....

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Ps: Can we get back to the shuttle now....

Yea... it still amazes me how we can get such a huge complex hunk of metal up into space yet Honda can't even get a fuel filler cap to open properly! [smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Totally needless exploration of space costing Billions while the world stands by and watches atrocities, civil wars and famine all over the African continent for starters.

Sierra Leone, Sudan, Darfur, What's the difference between Mugabe and Saddam ? Eritrea, Ethopia, Madagascar. Want me to go on ?

... the majority caused by a few powerful people who use religion in an attempt to control the starving uneducated masses!

Human evolution and civilisation is on the verge of moving up a level, technological advancement and space exploration are key parts of that!

The advent of cheap air travel and the internet are in part turning the human race into a global community. The tribal leaders, dictators and mullah's in these countries can see this happening and are fighting to hang onto their perceived power and territory!

The world is moving on - things are going to change!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
So back to the space shuttle.... just checked heavens above and looking at the predicted pass times for both the ISS and the Shuttle ( STS-118 ) they are going to be stuck together for another week. When are the planning on coming home? You never know we might be lucky enough to see the 2 lights in the sky again.

Anyone had the chance to look at the ISS with a decent telescope when its been passing, apparantly every few days they dump water, it can be seen as a trail of ice crystals.

Also, is anyone living out of town with less light pollution? Its pretty bright where I am surrounded my lights.

For information ISS will pass overhead again tonight at around 10:03, at its closest it will be only 230 miles away.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So back to the space shuttle.... just checked heavens above and looking at the predicted pass times for both the ISS and the Shuttle ( STS-118 ) they are going to be stuck together for another week. When are the planning on coming home? You never know we might be lucky enough to see the 2 lights in the sky again.

Anyone had the chance to look at the ISS with a decent telescope when its been passing, apparantly every few days they dump water, it can be seen as a trail of ice crystals.

Also, is anyone living out of town with less light pollution? Its pretty bright where I am surrounded my lights.

For information ISS will pass overhead again tonight at around 10:03, at its closest it will be only 230 miles away.
TREKKER is the one with some juicy telescopes. Have you seen the Station Allan ?.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
TREKKER is the one with some juicy telescopes. Have you seen the Station Allan ?.
What; with my eyesight! [smilie=superkewl.g: I'll have a look tonight. :ciao:

Ps: Well it's now 22:10 and I'm not sure what I saw. Through the broken cloud there was a bright single light heading from the West towards the SE, but then there was another bright single light heading towards the NW from the SE. Anyway, I've seen the light! :D

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What; with my eyesight! [smilie=superkewl.g: I'll have a look tonight. :ciao:

Ps: Well it's now 22:10 and I'm not sure what I saw. Through the broken cloud there was a bright single light heading from the West towards the SE, but then there was another bright single light heading towards the NW from the SE. Anyway, I've seen the light! :D[/quote]

I'm sorry, there is some confusion here. I mean't Allan TREKKER. But thanks for the interest AllanAlt40 --- I hope you saw it ;).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts