2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can anyone please tell me if I can use a 16in s/saver with 17in Alloys that I have on my car?because I've recently purchased 2 apparently 'genuine' 16in s/saver wheels, seperately, ( Mk8 06-11, mine is 09 EX GT 1.8) that fit in the boot space instead of the can of 'gunk'. Both the s/saver wheels fitted on the 5 hub bolts but they were not central, so I had to send them both back, the bolts were touching the outer side of the holes on the spacesavers which was not right because the wheel nuts are champered and should fit centrally to the holes, so could anyone tell me the correct size, and correct me if you cannot use a 16in s/saver with 17in wheels. Also, let me add, I would only use it in an emergency you understand ie blow out etc. Regards muvoda.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hi mate. Yes 16" is the size you want. Tyre size 135/80/16 on them. Standard spacesaver will be yellow and the tyre tends to be a dunlop on all I've had/sold. Some of the other model hondas will also fit I think the 16" accord spacesaver does and maybe others.

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
I guess it encourages you to change it PDQ

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
i've just brought a 15 inch space saver will that only fit the rear

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
The Honda spare for the FN2 only fits the rear, won't go over the front calipers.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Just a heads up:

If you buy second hand check the date stamp on the rubber. From what I've read 6 to 10 years is the max you should use as rubber does deteriorate, even in the dark, unused, and given it's your contact with the road .....

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
A 15" wont fit front or back mate. They dont fit due to the brake shields. The 15" is from the older mk7 civics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi mate. Yes 16" is the size you want. Tyre size 135/80/16 on them. Standard spacesaver will be yellow and the tyre tends to be a dunlop on all I've had/sold. Some of the other model hondas will also fit I think the 16" accord spacesaver does and maybe others.
Hi @Dazvti, thanks for your reply but, I'm still a little confused, the pcd should be 5x114.3, and these couple of people who I purchased them off assured me that they were genuine, but like I said, they fitted on my wheel hub apart from the hub bolts not being central to the holes on the spacesaver, when I tightened them(slightly) the champered nuts were touching the outermost part of the wheel holes, I hope I have got my point across, and, I understand there is millimetres in it, so that's why I need to know the correct size ( if you know, then brill ) my tyre size is, 225/45/17. So are you sure that the 'above' size tyre you quoted will fit mine? also will it fit in the boot space? Regards muvoda.

·
4,360 Posts
the pcd should be 5x114.3, ...
But they were not.
but like I said, they fitted on my wheel hub apart from the hub bolts not being central to the holes on the spacesaver,
Then they were the WRONG WHEEL FOR YOUR CAR. Sounds like your hubs are they were 5x120. But anyway you said they have gone.
A 225/45/17 is the wrong size tyre for a 16" space saver. It is a full size tyre, apart from beig a 17" tyre not a 16" one. A full size wheel will not fit the boot recess designed for a much 'thinner' spacesaver wheel.

EDITED for hub size to mismatch to 114.3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But they were not.Then they were the WRONG WHEEL FOR YOUR CAR. Sounds like they were 5x120. But anyway you said they have gone.
A 225/45/17 is the wrong size tyre for a 16" space saver. It is a full size tyre, apart from beig a 17" tyre not a 16" one. A full size wheel will not fit the boot recess designed for a much 'thinner' spacesaver wheel.
Hi, I totally understand that, but I have been told that I could use a 16in spacesaver (which does fit in the boot recess) with 17in wheels, it would only be for emergencies you understand, better than a can of 'crap' that came with the car, that wouldn't help in a blow out!, but I cannot find a 16in s/saver that will fit my hub, I did try the 2 previous s/savers on the front and they did fit perfectly, enough recess for the brake caliper and plenty of room, but like I keep repeating myself my hub bolts do NOT align centrally to the s/savers. I think I need an answer to my question as to why???? Regards as always muvoda.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
If you have a Honda Civic then you need a Honda Civic spacesaver. My previous Civic had 17" wheels and a standard 16" Civic spacesaver, no problem as the tyre was bigger so the circumference was exactly the same. Same with all Civic wheel/tyres, the bigger the wheel the more low profile the tyre.

If the bolt holes don't match then you don't have a Civic spacesaver and for safety don't try and use it.

·
4,360 Posts
There is also no need for you to keep repeating yourself about them "Fitting perfectly around the brake bits but the pdc is wrong". We also fully understand that!

There are only two possibilities that are causing your problem. Wrong space saver wheel (sounds unlikely) or someone has previously fitted non standard (Type R?) hubs.

It sounds like you are/have been trying to fit 114.3 wheels on 120 hubs. (Unless they are not 114.3 Honda space savers.)
Any info you will get here is pure conjecture and guesswork.You need someone who 'knows about these things' to have a look at it for you. Honda dealers fall into that category.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok lads, I think that's the way to go then, appreciate all your help and I will be in touch with my findings, thanks again. muvoda.

·
4,360 Posts
Right then. One last post on the subject. I have found HERE a quick way of measuring 5 nut pcd. Take a wheel off your car and measure it. It. That will tell you whether you have 114.3 or 120 or whatever pcd. At least, when you know that there may be a way forward.

US to UK translation "lug nut" = "wheel nut".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you @M8TJT, as soon as this crappy weather subsides I will do that, thanks to everyone who participated on this subject. Regards muvoda.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
The OP has opened a new thread named 'Spacesaver Part 2'.

Why, we don't know, but this one is closed fo save repetition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.