2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of venturing onto track in the next few months as a regular sort of thing (every 3 months or so) with my friend who goes pretty much every month.

I'm getting a FRS and sorting my brakes before i go, however i have a question!

If i get a FRS on my 18" alloys that i have on the car now... will i be able to get a spare set of 17" alloys, to use on track and still have good handling etc?

The reason i want 17's is because my friend can get me very, very cheap racing slicks (£60 a corner) - they are semi used but they are literally used for 1 race and then sold on.

Also the 17's themselves will be cheap..

Cheers guys :p

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Slicks + FRS = baffled sump

Play safe as everyone knows high speed cornering kills k20's and your going to have a lot of grip:)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Your FRS will be fine.

If your gonna be running slicks I'm guessing your gonna need a baffled sump as well.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a baffled sump?

I understand what you mean about having too much grip almost (will be cornering at speeds faster than the car can manage).

But what is a baffled sump and how would this alloy my car to corner with grip?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
What is a baffled sump?

I understand what you mean about having too much grip almost (will be cornering at speeds faster than the car can manage).

But what is a baffled sump and how would this alloy my car to corner with grip?

A baffled sump is small fins welded into the sump that stop all the oil traveling to one side of the engine under cornering.

If all the oil goes to one side of the engine under cornering it means half your bearings at the bottom of the engine are running dry (not coated in oil) normally you get some very loud knocking followed by the engine locking solid and the best part of £2-3k to fix, baffled sumps are only about £300-400 fitted mate :cool:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It's a sump with vertical plates in it to stop all the oil immediately sloshing to one side when cornering.

Edit: Beaten to it ;)

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A baffled sump is small fins welded into the sump that stop all the oil traveling to one side of the engine under cornering.

If all the oil goes to one side of the engine under cornering it means half your bearings at the bottom of the engine are running dry (not coated in oil) normally you get some very loud knocking followed by the engine locking solid and the best part of £2-3k to fix, baffled sumps are only about £300-400 fitted mate :cool:
definately something i will have to consider!

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Not sure but don't you need a roll cage too running slicks? Is it just certain tracks? I may be totally wrong!! :)

I've never been asked to have one.

The chasis in the FN2 is pretty good to be honest

EDIT: DOH! ON SEMI SLICKS!

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
depends on what tyres they are, are they full slicks or semi slicks? i have a set of track wheels with semi slicks on, baffled sump is a must as like the guys said, you need to keep the oil in the sump and not let it travel up the chain. i think generally most track companies would rather you had a cage fitted as if you dont works slicks properly youll be off before you know it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts