2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Got a Type R almost a year ago, however feel like I should get a space saver spare wheel for it with my upcoming trip to the Lakes. The kit from Cox is a bit pricey so was wondering if the offerings on eBay would be suitable? My Type R came with the 19" rage alloys (not sure if this helps). I've got a foam canister but I think for peace of mind I'd prefer just to have the spare.

Cox kit - Genuine Honda Civic Type-R FN2 Spacesaver Wheel 2007-2011 - 06KITSMRG01HE -

Example off eBay - SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL & TYRE 15" HONDA CIVIC 2006-2019 + jack kit free P&P | eBay

My confusion is with regards to the eBay spare being listed as 15". Do I need a bigger spare?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
The problem is likely to be clearance for the brake calipers - I'm sure other R owners will be along to guide you as to the right size but I would not think a 15" would have clearance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is likely to be clearance for the brake calipers - I'm sure other R owners will be along to guide you as to the right size but I would not think a 15" would have clearance
Thanks MrHicks. I've just been on the phone with sparewheelcity who recommended I get the 17" one to clear the caliper

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
That sounds a more likely win than a 15" (y) but as I say - I'm sure some of the R owners will be able to tell you for sure :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
All you really need from the spare is to clear the rear caliper, if you do get a front puncture, stick the spare on the rear, and then fit the rear you took off and fit to the front, its a bit more faff, but it's not like you will be doing it on a regular basis

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Hi mate, you need a 16" that's what honda supply you with if you went in. 17" will not fit it the recess in the boot. Ive got one listed in the for sale section. I also have a 17" but this will not fit in the boot space as the 17" honda ones come from the crvs

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Is the 17" too thick to fit the recess? I assume the overall diameter (with tyre) of the different size spares (15", 16", 17") is the same size?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
The overall size is bigger mate, the 16" is a snug fit the 17" is wider and the tyre taller. Give you a deal on the 17 if you want it but it definitely won't fit in the recess

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
No I'm just curious ;) & mine is a 9g anyway.

So the 16" (with tyre) is the same diameter as the OEM fitment tyres? and the 17" is not?

Edit - I just re read your post & see the 17" came from a CRV - with presumably a different OEM tyre size from the Civic?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
The 16 tyre size is 135/80/16 if I mind right and the 17 tyre size is 155/90/17. So a good bit bigger overall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The overall size is bigger mate, the 16" is a snug fit the 17" is wider and the tyre taller. Give you a deal on the 17 if you want it but it definitely won't fit in the recess
You're a lifesaver, I was about to get hold of a 17". Thanks for saving me a lot of hassle!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Thanks Dazvti, good job guiding Amit619 in the right direction for his spare (y)
My other vehicles are all 4x4 so I get very twitchy about tyre wear/rotation and having the same size on all 4 corners lol - huge expensive damage can be done quickly to a 4x4 drivetrain with mismatched tyres!!
Would the different size not make the electronics (ABS stability etc) throw a wobbler on the Civic? (I confess I don't know what the 8th Gen has in the way of electronic controls :unsure:)

·
Super Moderator
1,634 Posts
Thanks Dazvti, good job guiding Amit619 in the right direction for his spare (y)
My other vehicles are all 4x4 so I get very twitchy about tyre wear/rotation and having the same size on all 4 corners lol - huge expensive damage can be done quickly to a 4x4 drivetrain with mismatched tyres!!
Would the different size not make the electronics (ABS stability etc) throw a wobbler on the Civic? (I confess I don't know what the 8th Gen has in the way of electronic controls :unsure:)
That's why I bought the proper Honda one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts