2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Given the choice, what would you have chosen?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been numerous discussions on this topic, but I thought a poll would be useful to get a difinitave view on the matter.

So, the question is:
If you were given the choice at no cost when you bought your car, what would you have gone for?

Bare in mind the extra storage space in the boot, you miss it when it's gone!

Please vote away and leave comments!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
really didn't want to post this up and tempt fate - but

Driving for the last 20 years or so (with breaks for sleep / food / work and forum posting!)

Must have covered in excess of 500,000 miles in that time

Number of times spare wheel used due to a puncture - zero.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bungle said:
If you were given the choice at no cost when you bought your car, what would you have gone for?
Unfortunately, Honda did not give me a choice. They chose the option that was best for Honda, ignoring the cost and possible inconvenience I will incur in the event of a puncture.

I would like a spare wheel. Honda prefers the extra profit margin and ongoing income.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Ancient Nerd said:
They chose the option that was best for Honda, ignoring the cost and possible inconvenience I will incur in the event of a puncture.

I would like a spare wheel. Honda prefers the extra profit margin and ongoing income.
.... I think that's called business AN! :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I stuck with the Gunk, had to use it once on my Accord in two years of driving 60K, fiddley but did the job.

Carry a laptop a lot, so like the 'more secure' storage though I guess any 'professional' thief knows about it - would have liked it lockable like the Accord.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Trekker308 said:
.... I think that's called business AN! :wink:
Can't argue with that. However it's not necessarily good business, because in saving £30 or thereabouts, they have seriously annoyed this customer, who now sees Honda as potentially causing me significant inconvenience, and really doesn't care about it.

My reason for the concern is that I have had three punctures over the last eight years. Two would not have been repairable with the gunk. With a spare wheel, this was a minor inconvenience. Without one, this is going to become a major problem. And I really resent the thought of buying one from Honda.

The result is that when asked what I think of the car, the response is "Great, but... ". And it's the negatives that get the airing. The reaction to the absent spare wheel is usually "you are joking aren't you" :shock: .

Add that to the HFT problems and the leaking rear window and the Honda Happiness service plan that vanished when I asked for it, I have a very poor impression of Honda to date.

Problems can occur. If they get fixed quickly and without hassle, then I have no problem. If they drag on, are avoided or ignored, then I do have a problem. Honda falls very firmly in the latter category to date, and needs to clean up its act. Otherwise it is likely to start falling way below its current high ratings in the various owner surveys.

The Civic deserves better than Honda.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
I would definitely gone for the space saver.

How many of us have written to Honda CS and voiced these opinions? I did and they have said that it is now entered on their 'customer database' for use by 'the product planning department'. Don't know if it will do any current or future owners any good but unless they are told of our concerns they will assume everything is going well.

Consider having a puncture as some member have had, use the gunk and possibly get ripped off for a new tire (£140) a new bottle of gunk (£40 ?) and the time away from work/play whilst all this is carried out. With a 'spare', change the wheel, drop the punctured one off for repair and collect later (£30 ?).

The same sort of scenario applies if you unfortunately scuff an alloy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just like the space, and the thought that if I do have a puncture, even though I haven't in ten years, I don't have to jack the car up, I don't have to stick my arse (nice though it is;) ) towards too much motorway traffic, I don't have to get a load of crap out of the boot in the rain, and I won't get filthy changing the wheel.

Thats only because punctures only happen
1. When your boot is full
2. When its raining
3. When your boot is full of crap, that shouldn't go on the floor
4. When you are going somewhere you need to arrive clean at

I thank you

[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dickie 0121

I would not have a "Space Saver" as a gift! They have to be fitted to the rear wheels and therefore you are likely to have to attempt to request any breakdown service to change 2 wheels. Many breakdown companies will not even fit space savers! So they will take your damaged tyre away and repair it! So if you cannot have a full sized spare you are better off without one. Well that is my opinion. "Run flats" are a serious consideration for replacement tyres but they are New on the market so it remains to be seen how good they perform as a normal everyday tyre.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've clicked the bottom one coz i would have liked to try the stuff that (flyboy) was selling. It was called Ultrseal and it stops you getting punchers but is no use if your tyre is shredded.
The thread is in the recycle bin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would not have a "Space Saver" as a gift! They have to be fitted to the rear wheels and therefore you are likely to have to attempt to request any breakdown service to change 2 wheels. Many breakdown companies will not even fit space savers! So they will take your damaged tyre away and repair it! So if you cannot have a full sized spare you are better off without one. Well that is my opinion. "Run flats" are a serious consideration for replacement tyres but they are New on the market so it remains to be seen how good they perform as a normal everyday tyre.
Where did you see they could only be used on the rear? I'm shocked if this is true as I got one and was never warned!:confused:
Used to have run flats on a Cooper S - very hard ride, very expensive to replace. Mind you, even if a tyre is punctured and not gooed, a lot of places I have spoken to do not advise puncture repair - or are they just after the money???????

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
Where did you see they could only be used on the rear? I'm shocked if this is true as I got one and was never warned!:confused:
Used to have run flats on a Cooper S - very hard ride, very expensive to replace. Mind you, even if a tyre is punctured and not gooed, a lot of places I have spoken to do not advise puncture repair - or are they just after the money???????

Once the tyre has been filled with the foam, it can not be fixed as the adhesive will not stick to the tyre making it unreliable.

I have had punctures in the past on other cars and have used a space saver on the front and have never been told I couldn't.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
You can use space savers on the front. You just cant go over 50mph

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I had a SAAB a few year back I admit but they said that the space saver should always be fitted to the back. Try fitting it to the front and you will probably agree that 50 MPH would be very excessive!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Once the tyre has been filled with the foam, it can not be fixed as the adhesive will not stick to the tyre making it unreliable.

Yes like i said in a thread (space saver wheel) they can be fixed but if you get fobbed off at least put a knife or screwdriver through the side wall so it definitely can't be fixed and sold on as a part warn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A full size alloy wheel or at the very least a full size steel wheel would have been the best. Seriously would anybody not have bought the car if the extra cost of this had been included. Car manufacturers always trot out the increased price to the customer as an excuse but really its all about profit margins. Admittedly punctures are very rare these days but I would rather have a decent spare wheel and be able to continue driving normally. Anyway apart from this how often do you need the extra space in the boot.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
On certain cars, it is not possible to use a space saver on the front, as the internal diameter of the wheel is not big enough to clear the brake discs.

I don't think this is an issue on the Civic, as some models come with 16" wheels anyway.

And if it really is an issue - you just put it on the back, and put the good back tyre on the front.

Twice as much work, true, but hardly the biggest problem in the world :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My school car had a cut from a nasty kerbing so a trip to ATS was in order.

Long story short, i asked about the gunk, and they would happily repair a gunked tyre. The older oil based stuff used to mess with the adhesive, but the new stuff is water based so is cleanable.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Are you seriously saying you wouldn't change the tyre yourself???:rolleyes:

I am a firm believer in all drivers need to be able to do basic maintenace and that includes changing a wheel.

I still reckon a space saver is a far better option than the silly foam. The pump on it's own is useful though ;)

·
Rusty Nut!
611 Posts
I have been given the spare wheel to sweeten me up after all my problems, this was the first thing I asked for as to me it's essential, mind you if I was out on my own and got a puncture being a weak defenseless female I wouldn't be able to change it myself anyway! [smilie=tongue.gif] [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Different places have different places have different opinions on repairing a gunked up tyre, but it worrys me that the tyre may be shredded not just a nail or similar. I've only had about 3 puntures in my driving years but thats 3 too many if I had to replace the whole tyre everytime!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts