2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got stuck with a puncture the other day and the foam wouldnt work. £200 to get towed away for a budget tyre. Does anyone car a spare wheel or a space saver? Thinking of just keeping a spare wheel in the bootspace.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Got stuck with a puncture the other day and the foam wouldnt work. £200 to get towed away for a budget tyre. Does anyone car a spare wheel or a space saver? Thinking of just keeping a spare wheel in the bootspace.
A spare alloy won't fit in the recess as it's too wide, but Honda sell a spacesaver (and they are often available second hand) that fits in there.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Would it have to be 18'?
No, but it's the "thickness" of the alloy that means it won't fit, as it ends up poking up too far.

The spacesaver is a smaller steel section, definitely not 18". I believe the instructions in the case of a front wheel puncture are to install the spacesaver on the rear, and then use the good wheel from the rear to replace the punctured front, to enable clearance of the front caliper.

·
Registered
302 Posts
each to there own I guess..i personally carry a spare 18" strapped down in the boot I know it's a lot of weight to drag around but I was out on a drive with friends a while ago on a bank holiday weekend and picked up a rear puncture in the middle of nowhere, 10 minute job and I was back having fun..if it only saves you once its worth it and gives piece of mind..incidentaly when I took the punctured tyre to the garage they pulled out a Stanley knife blade..funny what you can pick up on country lanes lol..

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the space saver doesn't fit on the front, only the rear, so means a bit of faffing around if its a front puncture you get.
I had a puncture just a few weeks back on a run with my club, civic5.com. We were away on a sinlge track road, middle of nowhere (St Mary's loch) and I too tried the foam repair stuff the car comes with, which was useless IMO. Luckily, one of the members had an ep3, and kindly loaned me one of his wheels (he used his space saver, which wouldn't fit the fn2) which got me out of a hole! I have now bought an ep3 alloy, and if you remove the false boot floor, it fits in the wheel well nicely mate. Only 4 bolts and the floor is out. The alloy is a 17, and due to the larger profile, its around the same size as the 18's in overall profile when fitted. And weight wise, I agree with above post. Would rather have a slight bit of weight in the boot and know that if I get a puncture, I'm safe. For what minimal difference in performance the wheel weight gives, I think Honda should have given us a spare wheel as standard! Deffo recommend having a full size spare mate

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the space saver doesn't fit on the front, only the rear, so means a bit of faffing around if its a front puncture you get.
I had a puncture just a few weeks back on a run with my club, civic5.com. We were away on a sinlge track road, middle of nowhere (St Mary's loch) and I too tried the foam repair stuff the car comes with, which was useless IMO. Luckily, one of the members had an ep3, and kindly loaned me one of his wheels (he used his space saver, which wouldn't fit the fn2) which got me out of a hole! I have now bought an ep3 alloy, and if you remove the false boot floor, it fits in the wheel well nicely mate. Only 4 bolts and the floor is out. The alloy is a 17, and due to the larger profile, its around the same size as the 18's in overall profile when fitted. And weight wise, I agree with above post. Would rather have a slight bit of weight in the boot and know that if I get a puncture, I'm safe. For what minimal difference in performance the wheel weight gives, I think Honda should have given us a spare wheel as standard! Deffo recommend having a full size spare mate

I too carry a oem 18" alloy as a spare....sits in the boot....now,i didn't know you could remove anymore of the "boot" interior.....have you got any pics of your set-up:D

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
No probs mate, I'll post up some pics tomorrow mate as at work just now. It's a doddle though, and means the boot is still useable. I'm looking for a spare "false boot floor" from another fn that I'm gonna modify so it can cover the wheel and all sit level. Will post pics of that too once I find a spare one, don't want to chop up the original ;-)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
No probs mate, I'll post up some pics tomorrow mate as at work just now. It's a doddle though, and means the boot is still useable. I'm looking for a spare "false boot floor" from another fn that I'm gonna modify so it can cover the wheel and all sit level. Will post pics of that too once I find a spare one, don't want to chop up the original ;-)

Cheers mate:cool:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I've also thought of sourcing a spare Type S (17 inch?) alloy as I don't like the tyre gel stuff, have no idea how to use it and I've heard you basically have to get a new tyre after it as it'll mess things up.

Could I get a 17 inch in my boot floor and get the lid to shut over it so I have a flat boot?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Sorry for the delay on the photos chaps, been away on holiday. I'll get photos posted of the boot floor removed so the 17 inch wheel sits in perfectly. Not found a spare floor to carry pout the mod I was planning to reinstate the false floor back in, so pics on that will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Ok, please excuse the photos, as they're done with my phone and I'm at work just now on nightshift so its dark outside! lol

The first shows the wheel sitting in the boot. The other two show the location of the bolts to remove the false boot floor (that stops you fitting a spare wheel in the wheel well). Note that the photos of the bolts to remove are of the nearside.........there are two more in the same positions on the offside. ;-)

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire Auto part Rim
The wheel I have in there is a standard EP3 Civic TypeR wheel (17 inch) which sits in perfectly. If you move the wheel slightly to the left once in, this makes it a really snug fit so it wont move around. I will be fitting straps in using the bottom bolts pictured above to make the wheel totally secure, but will wait until I fit the modified boot floor. As is, it gives you a usable boot, and a handy storage bit on the off side, which can keep bags of stuff secure and upright. the wheel sits almost flush with where the false boot floor used to sit, but with the standard plastic part of that floor fitted in it prevents the wheel (of any size) going in there. Hence why I have removed it and will fit a modded one. The boot floor once refitted still will not fit flush though, but I have a plan for that which will make it all look almost factory done. Will post photos in my project thread once its been done with a how to kind of guide ;-)

Hope this helps! :)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
don't get which part of the boot floor you removed with those bolts? :confused:
The false boot floor, that you can drop down into the wheel well mate. Thye part thats towards the rear seats is made of plastic, and it's shape stops you fitting a spare wheel in the spare wheel well. The photos show the 4 bolts you need to remove to be able to remove the false boot floor from the car. Once removed, you can easily fit a spare wheel in the boot ;-)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts