2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just to note once removed you can fit an ep3 wheel in. I tried yesterday and failed to get my fn2 18' wheel in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I didnt have any issues when I had the flat tyre and used my mates ep3 wheel which he kindly lent me. We drove well over 50 miles back home on that, and no problems at all mate. It may be different if its fitted on the front, but the only thing I think you may find is if anything, it may pull slightly to the side that the spare is fitted. But it might not even do that, so I'd deffo recommend carrying the EP3 alloy as a spare. Much less hassle than the useless foam stuff they supply with the cars. Bear in mind the space saver spare wheel from honda for the fn2 is only a 16 inch wheel, and that only fits on the rear. Which in my opinion is really stupid! (take a spanking Honda!) lol

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Just to note once removed you can fit an ep3 wheel in. I tried yesterday and failed to get my fn2 18' wheel in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the overall diameter of the 18 inch is a little bigger than the 17inch mate, so doubted it would fit. Was going to buy an 18 inch to try but settled on the 17inch, seeing as its only a spare. Good to know though mate, incase anyones buying a spare alloy. Only go for the 17's guys! ;)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Nice one dave:)....removed the whole cassette boot assy a few weeks ago,but I have an 18" oem so might have to change....im assuming the ep3 17" will still clear the front callipers ok....iv flipped my alloy on its back and wrapped in a soft curtain...even more storage space in the middle of the wheel....look forward to the modified lid pics:cool:

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Nice one dave:)....removed the whole cassette boot assy a few weeks ago,but I have an 18" oem so might have to change....im assuming the ep3 17" will still clear the front callipers ok....iv flipped my alloy on its back and wrapped in a soft curtain...even more storage space in the middle of the wheel....look forward to the modified lid pics:cool:
Yes mate, ep3 17 inch clears the calipers no probs. Was the first thing I tried when I got the wheel lol. :D Like the idea of wrapping the alloy up to create a nice clean storage space!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good info thread this...does anyone know if I'd be able to use this ep3 17" type r tyre you referenced, even if I have 19" Rage wheels on my fn2 gt? Or can I use the space saver & if so, that should just drop into the well too shouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, please excuse the photos, as they're done with my phone and I'm at work just now on nightshift so its dark outside! lol

The first shows the wheel sitting in the boot. The other two show the location of the bolts to remove the false boot floor (that stops you fitting a spare wheel in the wheel well). Note that the photos of the bolts to remove are of the nearside.........there are two more in the same positions on the offside. :wink:

The wheel I have in there is a standard EP3 Civic TypeR wheel (17 inch) which sits in perfectly. If you move the wheel slightly to the left once in, this makes it a really snug fit so it wont move around. I will be fitting straps in using the bottom bolts pictured above to make the wheel totally secure, but will wait until I fit the modified boot floor. As is, it gives you a usable boot, and a handy storage bit on the off side, which can keep bags of stuff secure and upright. the wheel sits almost flush with where the false boot floor used to sit, but with the standard plastic part of that floor fitted in it prevents the wheel (of any size) going in there. Hence why I have removed it and will fit a modded one. The boot floor once refitted still will not fit flush though, but I have a plan for that which will make it all look almost factory done. Will post photos in my project thread once its been done with a how to kind of guide :wink:

Hope this helps! :smile:

I might try this, assuming the same applies to a 16 inch 205/55/16V . Especially as the cost of a second hand 16 inch alloy with tyre is around £60, and the space saver nearly twice that. Be interested whether you just put a rubber mat under the well in the end Dave, and if you bolted it down.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Apologies for the late reply, not been on here much since I sold the TypeR. A 16 inch wheel should go in ok mate as it will have similar rolling diameter as the 17 due to deeper side wall. I didn't have the wheel bolted down as it was still a pretty tight fit so it didn't move around. However, if you can get the bolt thingy as used for the space saver, I would fit it as it will be more safe in the event of an accident. I had a rubber mat under the wheel which stops it marking the paint on floor, and again stops it moving about.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Good info thread this...does anyone know if I'd be able to use this ep3 17" type r tyre you referenced, even if I have 19" Rage wheels on my fn2 gt? Or can I use the space saver & if so, that should just drop into the well too shouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I had the 19inch rage alloys on my fn2 gt mate and it was fine using the 17 as a spare with these on.
Just remember, if you do buy a space saver from Honda, it won't fit on the front, only the rears. Which is pretty dumb on Honda's part!

·
Registered
637 Posts
What! Seriously? That is definitely dumb haha! I bought a spare 18" the other week which i will prob leave under the back seat.

·
Super Moderator
4,136 Posts
I got the space saver from my local Honda Dealer, price matched to Cox Motor Parts, £145 if I remember correctly.
And yes it has to go on the back since it won't clear the caliper on the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the space saver from my local Honda Dealer, price matched to Cox Motor Parts, £145 if I remember correctly.
And yes it has to go on the back since it won't clear the caliper on the front.
Sorry for stealing an old thread.

I bought the space saver and could not able to fit in the front or rear (2010 Type R GT). the dust plates are too wide and no clearance. Did you try to fit it and double check?

·
Super Moderator
4,136 Posts
Sorry for stealing an old thread.

I bought the space saver and could not able to fit in the front or rear (2010 Type R GT). the dust plates are too wide and no clearance. Did you try to fit it and double check?
no, I just bought the right part number via the cox website

·
Registered
night hawk black 09 FN2
91 Posts
I've the space saver came with my FN2 but i also have a repair kit and compressor in the car beside it so i can repair the tire if its a nail or screw or use the space saver if the tire is badly damaged.

Toolbox Rectangle Orange Tool Red

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,530 Posts
I bought a full size alloy thinking / hoping it would fit in the recess in the boot but does it heck. I carry a tin of tyre weld in case of a puncture but I'm going to get one of those kits Vtec Phil has. They are only meant to be temporary fixes but some use the plugs for the life of the tyre.

Reactions: MrHicks

·
Registered
08. 2.2 cdti
9 Posts
Glad to have found this thread. Just bought a 08 2.2 with nothing in the boot. Strapped a tin of stuff in to quell the mind, but the potential for trouble remains mildly disturbing.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,530 Posts
Remember Tyre Weld is like an ashtray on a motorbike if you have a blowout. Been there and worn the tyre weld. My Mrs potholed the front nearside and I thought I'd easily just hook up the tyre weld and let it do its stuff, aye, came gushing out all over the place of the huge hole in the sidewall I hadn't noticed.

Reactions: Reamac
21 - 40 of 40 Posts