2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
It's not illegal as long as you have the tyre foam and compressor. The law states you have to have a means to get going again, no mention it has to be a spare wheel.

You can buy spare wheels from your local dealer, a dealer on here or in the Classfieds/Ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
OK, i have neither in my newly acquired CTR.. where can i get the tyre foam from? - And i gather any 12v Compressor will do? Help appreciated! :)
If you purchased the car from a Honda Dealership, - have a go at them, as they shouldn't have sold the car without them.
If Not :- Halfords do some cheap compressors, but the gunk is £50 + or - from Honda.

You will often see Spacesaver wheels going on here for a lot less than the £130 or so that Honda want.

·
FEAR NAUGHT
73 Posts
I got my space saver on ebay for £30 pickup just a few months ago, so there is some cheap ones out there.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Try and get a full size wheel,i did and its a lot better than the foam or a spacesaver.
Keep looking on ebay if you want a spacesaver/full size wheel

·
OOOOSH
800 Posts
Try and get a full size wheel,i did and its a lot better than the foam or a spacesaver.
Keep looking on ebay if you want a spacesaver/full size wheel
Didn't think a full size wheel would fit (under the false floor)?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
It does'nt just have mine tied up lying flat on the boot floor has then i dont have to worry about using the funny foam and be restricted to speed if i have spacesaver.

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
It does'nt just have mine tied up lying flat on the boot floor has then i dont have to worry about using the funny foam and be restricted to speed if i have spacesaver.
I thought about getting a 5th alloy and put it in the recess (but without the lid) and make a feature of it...:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
It will not fit in the re-cess part only a spacesaver will.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The problem is i have the 19 inch Rage alloys so would a spacesaver not be a complete waste of time due to the rolling diameter?? Or could i get away with it? Would rather that than the gunk personally..

edit: There is a single 18" Alloy going for a nice price, i am not worried about it not fitting flush in the boot as i never carry much stuff in there anyway - so would that be a wise purchase for the right price? - I know it would look daft as hell but at least it would get me home? Advice please anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If you have AA membership and you call them out for a puncture its £20 nuisance call out fee (they will tow you home or to the nearest garage), if you have a puncture and use the gunk its about £170 for a new tyre (potenzas) as once you put the gunk in the tyre is ruined.

AA membership is about £27 a year, my personal preference is to have that as a backup. We have 2 cars in the household and we each have a full size spare wheel in the shed if I had a local puncture my girlfriend would drive the new wheel over. For long journeys I would put the wheel in the boot, if there wasn't room I have the AA as back up. I also keep the gunk and compressor in the compartment so I'm road legal.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Yeah but as has been said - for me to have nothing is illegal?? I have breakdown roadside assistance so i can be recovered, but if i can get this wheel cheap enough then is it a good idea?
Yeh go for it I have 5 Standard 18" CTR wheels in the shed (long story) and 8 on the cars outside, but I wouldn't drive around with one in the boot all the time they are heavy.
A can of tyre foam you could pick up for a £5-12 from halfrauds or similar mine is just in the boot for show I would never use it. If the tyre is repairable then useing the gunk would ruin it and if it isn't repairable then the gunk wouldn't work.

·
Super Moderator
24,241 Posts
The problem is i have the 19 inch Rage alloys so would a spacesaver not be a complete waste of time due to the rolling diameter?? Or could i get away with it? Would rather that than the gunk personally..
All of the different wheel sizes on the Civic have more or less the same rolling diameter. The wall height of the tyres are different on the various rim diameters so making the overall diameters similar. The space saver is suitable for all sizes.

Tyres and Wheels - Civinfo Wiki

·
Registered
24 Posts
never had to use it, but i wouldnt trust using the foam... i have little faith in it, just doesnt seem right!

plus (think this is true - someone might want to add to this) i've heard injecting the foam is only a quick fix and ultimately makes the tyre unrepairable again?!? ... not good if a simple puncture repair in the first place would've saved the tyre.

look on ebay and the ads on here.. something will turn up! I managed to get a 17" honda alloy that had a brand new budget tyre on it for £37!! steal of the year!!! i was grinning all the way home after collecting it! :)

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
never had to use it, but i wouldnt trust using the foam... i have little faith in it, just doesnt seem right!

plus (think this is true - someone might want to add to this) i've heard injecting the foam is only a quick fix and ultimately makes the tyre unrepairable again?!? ... not good if a simple puncture repair in the first place would've saved the tyre.

look on ebay and the ads on here.. something will turn up! I managed to get a 17" honda alloy that had a brand new budget tyre on it for £37!! steal of the year!!! i was grinning all the way home after collecting it! :)
theres some garages riping people off over this,. the honda manual does say to take it back to a honda dealer who then can wash it out with hot washing up liquid and repair it . or i presume it can be left in.

i checked halfords version of tyre weld. it also says it can be washed out.

it seems most garages dont know this or are ripping people off making them replace a full tyre instead.

Reactions: richardh
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.