2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the R18A2 engine and got NGK IZFR6K-11S spark plugs for it (these are already gapped properly i think?).

I know the recommened torque is 18Nm but I don't have a torque wrench. So I plan on hand tightening it before turning it with a wrench. But how much should I turn it with the wrench?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Says it right in the box:

After hand tightening, 1/2 to 2/3 rotation with the ratchet... (on flat shoulder plugs, like the ones you've got)

Reactions: Alpha008 and Sab

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... The 1/16 part had me thinking but now I see that's for a different type of spark plug.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction for anyone that was looking for R18A2 spark plug torque: NGK recommends torque of 25-30Nm for this plug in an aluminium head (NOT 18Nm as I first said).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit: This seems a bit silly now, but what's the actual recommended torque for this plug in the R18A2 though?? In videos, everyone torques to 18Nm. But according to NGK specs on their own site, it's between 25-30Nm.

I managed to get a torque wrench and did them up to 18Nm, but the wrench only moved 1/6 after hand tightenining before it reached 18Nm torque... Should I go back in and give them all 1/2 a turn?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Correction for anyone that was looking for R18A2 spark plug torque: NGK recommends torque of 25-30Nm for this plug in an aluminium head (NOT 18Nm as I first said).
I suppose that's a generic recommendation from NGK.
Honda states 18Nm on the workshop manual.
Between the maker of the plugs and the maker of the block, I'd go with the latter.

Reactions: M8TJT and Sab

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MPG update (after spark plugs change and EGR clean; it wasn't as dirty as I was expected):

My car has only done 50k miles but it's over 8 years old so I changed the spark plugs. I used to get 25mpg in town and 34mpg on the motorway...
Now I get 35mpg in town and 47mpg on the motorway!!!!! Yay

·
Registered
130 Posts
Be careful how you read your mpg. You should always consider full tanks of fuel for realistic values.
Such a difference as a result of a simple spark plug change and an EGR cleaning (that wasn't that dirty to begin with) seems steep.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I took these after filling the tank to full. I reset the thing and took the readings with 30 town miles (6 or 7 short trips) and 100 straight motorway miles (at 70)... So I'm fairly sure it's accurate. It's London though so I expect town mpg will vary alot. Eitherway, I have never seen the reading go above 36mpg since I bought the car 7 months ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You're bound to get an improvement. Depending on the state (and type) of the previous plugs, the engine should always be better off with the new ones.
But you misunderstood what I meant with "consider full tanks". I wasn't referring to going around full. I meant you should only consider real mpg by determining how many miles you traveled and how many gallons of fuel you used when topping up. That will only be readable when you top up the next time. And the longer you go (and the more gallons you record), the more accurate the numbers will be.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I’ve been searching all over the site for the correct gap sizes and torque specs for 1.8 spark plugs. My ones were changed at 56k so now changing again at 105k.

I’ve done a fair bit of reading and as far as I can tell gap should be 0.039-0.043 of and inch (between 1mm to 1.1mm)
Also the confusion on torque spec above may be due to lb/ft vs nm
All the tech manuals I’ve seen actually state 18 lb/ft not nm which near as damn it matches the NGK value of 25nm hopefully this of some help for others. This makes more sense as NGK are the OE supplier so why would their spec be that different.

·
Super Moderator
4,500 Posts
you have both gap and torque correct
The iridium NGK plugs come preset and should not be adjusted or have feeler gauges shoved in to check.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Thanks for confirming. Good to know I’m not wildly out lol.

Provided you are not wedging the gauges in there fine with careful use to check but yeah they should come factory set.

Trouble is I see people forcing the gauges in or indeed levering the contact to set to the right gap. With with damage the iridium tips so may not be worth it for most. At the end of the day they are actually precision made

1 - 14 of 14 Posts