2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SIMPLY MUGEN
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the BIG service coming up this year and been told the by my local honda dealer that to do the plugs are a set price if £200 . It seems honda charge £122.00 for the 4 plugs and £80 labour to fit I guess . They say they use ngk laser iridium spark plugs . But these are listed on eBay from various sellers for anything from £35.to £50 . Are the eBay items likely to be copies ? Appreciate any advice as cox honda have them for £79.00 at the moment!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ebay isn't the best source for such parts. Many have been known to be false.
But there are many reliable (physical and online) stores selling them for less than half the price you get at Honda. I'd go for one of these.

As for the total value they've quoted you at the dealership, it is standard practice. Utter nonsense considering it isn't that difficult job to do or that expensive parts to begin with.

If you want the peace of mind of having something like this done by a company that has been trained and will take responsibility for that operation, do pay them.
If the peace of mind you need comes from you're wallet, checkout the procedure online and you'll see you can save at least half the money doing it on your own.

This is the link to the procedure on the workshop manual for the coil removal on a 2010 FN2 (spark plugs will be accessible after that)
http://fn2workshop.co.uk/en/html/ESMManualMain.html?url=000000000001807.html#000?FN2,2010&key=000000000001807&anc=#000?FN2,2010

Reactions: kevven

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got a set of these: LASER IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS HONDA K-SERIES F-SERIES IFR7G-11KS from Tegiwa for about £40 and fitted them myself. Had never done it before but there is a good video on youtube that shows you how to do it. I'm no mechanic by any means but it was quite straight forward and car has been running fine for last couple of thousand miles since doing it. Not sure if I've managed to embed the youtube video properly but its called "Servicing your own car (Honda Civic Type R FN2)" by FNLEW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with the above, and YES there are a lot of fake NGK's on ebay according to my mechanic.
I got a set of Denso iridium for about £35 delivered from Euro car parts, worth the extra fiver to know it was genuine product, mechanic said Denso was as good - he told me to get auto gearbox atf from Honda (the local dealer matched the online price for the ATF and coolant) but said the mahle air filter was fine for the low mileage i do (honda item is pricey).

I did get a basic honda dealer service at the time as i had recently bought the car ( they put in 5w 30? )and the same dealer supplied the bits the mechanic told me to get from them - he was just charging for doing the job and was happy for me to supply the parts.

worked out a lot cheaper for basic maintenance work on the big service!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts