2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I find it great! Three weeks ago I bought a brand new Honda Civic 1.8 5D which came with 6 speaker setup. As many of you agree, the sound is terrible. So at the moment, I am looking into options to upgrade mu sound system without having to remove the HU or touch the dash (I'm not sure whether that's even possible).

I decided to upgrade the front door speakers with Hertz ESK 165 (or perhaps HSK 165) and do some sound deadening with Dynamat or Alubutyl. That is the easy part. However, many people are telling me I won't get nearly as good a sound without adding an amp to those speakers.

So my question is this: is there a way to install an amp to push those Hertz speakers (preferably under the front passenger seat) without having to disintegrate half of my car in order to reach the HU?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but this option requires removing the the dash and the HU. Maybe a stupid question, but is there a way to install an amp without having to remove the dash? :)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Thanks, but this option requires removing the the dash and the HU. Maybe a stupid question, but is there a way to install an amp without having to remove the dash? :)
Yes but it involves alot of work. Removing the dash and headunit is probably the safest way.

Aslong as you have the sound signal from the headunit into the amp then amp to speakers you'll be alright.

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
I have the ESK 165s in now & Im running them off the Hertz HE4 amp. I can vouch for their quality and volume & power when amp'ed and not amp'ed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Well then, if removing the dash is that easy, then I'll go for it.

Regarding the speakers, I have a good offer for a set of Audio Development AD6. Anybody heard of them?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the ESK 165s in now & Im running them off the Hertz HE4 amp. I can vouch for their quality and volume & power when amp'ed and not amp'ed
Can you give me a short comparison of the amped and non amped options? Does the amp really make a noticable difference?

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
The best way to think of it is the power supply;

When the speakers aren't amped the most noticable difference in them compared to oe speakers is at higher volume. This is due to the amount of power being fed to them.
When the speakers are amped, obviously there is much more power being fed to the speakers. This means that even at lower volume there is an audible difference between the oe speakers and the Hertz speakers. Also once the speakers are amped there is far greater volume

The best way to compare is the amp in the H/U is about the size of a packet of ciggarettes while a four channel amp is far bigger

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Another thing though: how do I connect the amp to a power source? Do I connect it straight to the battery, and if so, where should the cables run through (pics appreciated)?

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
Reactions: Amused

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
I've moved the amp to the boot since then so any tips or questions you need for that just shout.. there are plenty on here that have done it :)
good luck fella

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've moved the amp to the boot since then so any tips or questions you need for that just shout.. there are plenty on here that have done it :)
good luck fella
Well, I would put the amp underneath the passenger front seat, it's a rather small 4 channel amp. I guess there will be enough space there. Has anyone done it before?

Any experience with Alu-butyl?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanna do pretty much exactly the same as this mate so interested to see how this pans out.

Out of interest what's your budget for this component & amp set up?

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
I installed my amp and subwoofer in the boot. Took the power from the battery direct (a fuse was installed between the amp and the battery itself for protection) and I took the feed (sound feed) from the left side speakers in the car.

So technically I didnt remove the dash at all and this has been installed since 2009. No problems, no issues...

Cheers
M

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
Well, I would put the amp underneath the passenger front seat, it's a rather small 4 channel amp. I guess there will be enough space there.
I don't think it would fit there. There are a few drawbacks:
- VERY limited space.
- Even if the amp is slim enough to fit there (which I doubt) there is not enough free air around it for decent cooling.
- Before drilling any holes to mount the amp, keep in mind that the fuel tank is under the front seats... :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies. I have made my final decision: I will be going for a HERTZ HSK 165.4 along with dynamating all 4 doors, and no amps for the time being. The upgrade will be done next week. I will post pics and comments some time next week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts