2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade the speaker system in my 9g 2015 facelift si

It does have door tweeters but I find the bass is really lacking.

Is there a go to speaker system that people use in their 9g civics , perferably with a floor subwoofer?

And the same for the headunit - is there a specific one people install that support steering wheel controls?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Paul,

I 've been trying to solve the same quiz the past few days (without replacing the OEM head unit).

So, I have found the following info for my 9G Civic (Sport Edition - 1.6 iDTEC - 2016 model).

• Front Door Speakers: 6.5 inches coaxial with separate tweeters
  • Rear Door Speakers: 6.5 inches coaxial
  • Subwoofer: A compact subwoofer cannot be placed under the front seats since there is located the fuel tank.
  • The OEM head unit, probably, cannot fully use the potential of after market speakers.
For the speakers you have a lot of options from various manufacturers, but expect most of them to have the specs listed below

• Nominal Impedance: 4Ω
  • Nominal Power: 60watt RMS
In order to fully use after-market speakers you will need to fit a 4 channel amplifier. Again there are many options that you can choose from. I enlist just few of them for your reference

Finally, if you still want to change the stock head unit you will need to use an after market adaptor kit in order to be able to use steering wheel function keys. Again, have a look here:

Root URL: https://connects2.com/products/installation-kits/vehicle/Honda
URL: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKHD06
URL: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKHD06L

I wish I was helpful in this rather long post of mine.

Many greetings from Athens, Greece

iLiAS

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Hi, can share my expierience as was in same boat when i was looking for upgrade. As per above post you have plenty to choose from and can confirm info is good. There are few posts on forum about speaker change which is useful. I went for Focal auditor speakers and used Pioneer GM-D1004 to power them from factory head unit. You will need Connects2 CT10HD04 to have all conected inline. Will need spacers/adapters as new speakers has bigger magnet. Had this setup for quite some time and then just wanted to add more bass so did a custom sub project. If you want add underseat subwoofer there is some space under rear seats or in spare wheel place. Can have a look at my folder/ profile to see more what I've done . I would highly advice while you do upgrade add sound deadening ( closed cell foam+ bitumen ). Costs about £50 per door but will reduce BUCKET effect when closing door and got rid of rattles. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thx for the Connects2 kit info diadulia. What model, year is your Civic? Any information will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I've just had a new head unit put in my 2012 honda civic 2.2, I used the Pioneer AVIC-Z820DAB, it's excellent, expensive to buy and get professionally installed though, required a fair bit of work to keep everything, only thing I've lost is the handsfree speaker on the steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I went for Focal auditor speakers and used Pioneer GM-D1004 to power them from factory head unit. You will need Connects2 CT10HD04 to have all conected inline.
Hey,
I've got a Kenwood KSC-SW11 to wire in to the factory HU:- How did you make use of the Connects2 Adapter? I was planning on using it as a bridge for the original harness that I could cut into for the speaker output, but if the Pioneer GM-D1004 would give me a plug and play output to RCA from the adapter, that would be even easier.

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Hi, Pioneer GM-D1004 has no RCA output. So unless sub you wiring in takes high/ speaker input then you could use Connects2 to slice in to rather than factory wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Yes - The sub has a speaker level input, so hopefully that should do the trick:- Does the Pioneer plug straight in with the Conects2, or did you use the Connects2 to cut in?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Yes, pioneer plugs straight in line to factory wiring with help off connects2. No other tweeks needed. Just plug and play.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it really necessary buy the conects to plug pioneer gm-d1004 to the original radio unit?

It's expensive, almost €25,00 to receive in Portugal...

Enviado do meu EML-L09 através do Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
With connects it takes 1 min to plug sub inline, without it you would need to cut factory wires and pioneer ones in order to plug all in. Its possible but cost in uk was about £12 so was no brainer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, can share my expierience as was in same boat when i was looking for upgrade. As per above post you have plenty to choose from and can confirm info is good. There are few posts on forum about speaker change which is useful. I went for Focal auditor speakers and used Pioneer GM-D1004 to power them from factory head unit. You will need Connects2 CT10HD04 to have all conected inline. Will need spacers/adapters as new speakers has bigger magnet. Had this setup for quite some time and then just wanted to add more bass so did a custom sub project. If you want add underseat subwoofer there is some space under rear seats or in spare wheel place. Can have a look at my folder/ profile to see more what I've done . I would highly advice while you do upgrade add sound deadening ( closed cell foam+ bitumen ). Costs about £50 per door but will reduce BUCKET effect when closing door and got rid of rattles. Good luck with your project.
Hi, do you remember where did you get the “spacers/adapters ” for the new speakers? Can’t seem to find the ones for a 2015 civic...
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts