2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I wanted to know if anyone has changed the speakers on the shape civic? I am simply looking to replace the existing ones with something that can hopefully play the sound without the distortion. I noted that some people have spoken about sound proofing. I am confident but not technically minded when it comes to this kind of thing. EG. Can I pop to halfords or alike, buy 4 semi decent speakers and a couple of tweeters and simply replace??!! I am seeing things about coaxial and crossover which I don't confess to know about.

I assumed all speakers were co axial!!

Please let me know if I am dreaming or if with a bit of know how I could have a go. I don't have any intention of changing the head unit or adding any other accessories such as a sub.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was dissatisfied with the sound on the base 4 speaker system (lack of clear top end and no much bass) so bought a pair of jbl GTO 638 6.5" 3 way (co-axial) speakers. The general rule is that speakers with a higher sensitivity will sound louder at a given power input. I temporarily fit the JBL speakers in the front doors and was very very disappointed. There was no bass but somewhat improved treble. This is because factory units generally do not have sufficient power to drive aftermarket speakers properly. There are several ways to resolve this- 1) get an active subwoofer (slimline underseat version or the traditional boombox version) to improve the bass 2) add a separate amplifier (which has speaker level inputs) to your factory head unit and upgrade to some good quality aftermarket speakers 3) get an aftermarket replacement centre fascia to install aftermarket head unit and speakers.

Honda apparently sold a speaker upgrade kit for the 8G (dual cone or 2 way) but it looks like it wouldn't fit the
9G as the plastic lugs are the wrong spacing. These would probably be an improvement on the stock speakers (which are a plastic single cone AFAIK).

Also, the higher end model variants have a 7 speaker (Premium sound) system (4 door speakers, 2 tweeters and 1 subwoofer). What might be possible is installing the 2 tweeters in the "sail" area behind the door mirrors.
That is assuming you are allowed to buy the parts from the dealer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am by no means a car audio expert but I do know some basics:

Cheaper speakers are usually dual cone. Co-axial speakers come in 2,3,4 way and sound better than dual cones. Think of a speaker assigned to reproduce each relative range of frequencies (woofer, mid woofer, tweeter, supertweeter). "Components" are separate woofers and tweeters so you can locate the units to your liking. The crossover (usually attached to the speaker or off a short piece of speaker wire is circuitry (capacitor and or inductors) to "direct" the correct frequencies to the correct speaker.

In subwoofers, they have adjustable crossover frequency to enable you to tailor the sound to your need (so the overall sound from the whole system is more balanced).

Acura buyers in the US are very lucky, they have the option of very high end quality systems.

·
Registered
616 Posts
What you need is a "kit"
2x mid low woofers in doors and 2x trebles + the important crossover filter units provided with the kit.
And buy high sensitive ones as suggested.
Wire to original wires (need to know color on cables)
Make your own spacers and screw the speakers on tight.
Use some bitumen plates on bare metal if you want to get rid of some vibrations that color the sound.
Add some wool behind.
Tweeters just replace the original and tape them or glue them into place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts