2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seen much about this on this fourm, so thought i would ask.

I am lead to believe that the honda windscreen is ok to use with GPS, my clio was a nightmare for that!

Just wondering what detectors are best to use.

I guess radar, laser and GPS are all needed for the UK.

I want a detector that also tells you the speed limit of the road your on. (this often gets me when i see a camera on the side of the road and you have no idea on teh speedlimit) as i find these days, the limits are all over the place, one second your in a 40 then 60 then 40 then 30 then 20!! That a 2 miles stretch of road near me!! good example me thinks!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
For anyone out and about in the York area, watch out for an unmarked police car - black volvo estate, reg CX05---. They pulled out onto the A64 in front of my husband's car, causing him to brake so he gave them a blast on the horn. Only afterwards did he realise it was the police! Spotted it on the ring road on Saturday, pulling in an unsuspecting Alfa driver.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've used the Trafcam software (www.trafcam.com) for a few years now on a Palm PDA. It works very effectively. There are also versions for Pocket PC and smart phones. I'd certainly recommend it.

I don't normally drive fast enough to warrant a camera flash, but it is relatively easy to go over the limit, particularly in those places where the cameras seem to be far more about income generation than safety. So I regard it purely as an additional insurance policy.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think soem peopel mis-understand me.

I only want the detector to help me keep to the speed limits on unknown roads.

NOt all speed limit signs are as bold and showing as they are supposed to be.

Its only to guide me, not to race where there are no speed cameras.

I do have tomtom mobile 5 with speed camera locations, but how up to date that is kept, i have no idea.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
WoolyCiv said:
So for this reason and this reason only I bought a MicroFuzion GPS unit. This cost about £95 with free lifetime updates and before anyone asks I cannot define 'lifetime'.
I like the idea of that unit WoolyCiv - particularly with the add-on Laser/Mini Gatso module! I take it that you have found it OK in use??

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Trekker308 said:
WoolyCiv said:
So for this reason and this reason only I bought a MicroFuzion GPS unit. This cost about £95 with free lifetime updates and before anyone asks I cannot define 'lifetime'.
I like the idea of that unit WoolyCiv - particularly with the add-on Laser/Mini Gatso module! I take it that you have found it OK in use??
I wouldn't be without it now, although I tend to turn the volume of the voice down on roads I am familiar with.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am quite tempted by a Road Angel Compact.

I would get a laser module for it too, but then that would leave me a bit naked to radar detectors, and that is what my one and only time that i was caught speeding, by a sodding radar gun and a copper behind a bush then walking in front of me routine.

Tho thats was 4 years ago now.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
WoolyCiv said:
I always try and keep within speed limts especially the lower ones but I am in agreement with stu_iow, I just want to know what the limit is on unfamiliar roads especially just after seeing the sign warning of speed cameras. So for this reason and this reason only I bought a MicroFuzion GPS unit. This cost about £95 with free lifetime updates and before anyone asks I cannot define 'lifetime'.
Does it just plug into the cigar lighter, without any other wiring necessary ?. :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
stu_iow said:
I am quite tempted by a Road Angel Compact.
Don't be! The screen is very bright by day, and there's no brightness control. At night it is dangerously bright and dazzling. Made this mistake myself and had to return it.

·
336 Posts
Stu

As said before I should have the Micro Fuzion unit plus Laser/Gatso add-on tomorrow and will be clocking up about 1600 miles with it over the holiday weekend so I'll PM you with some feedback!

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glad to hear you got it through in time for your trip.

Let me know how it goes.

I doubt i will look at buying anything until i actually have the car anyway, i can then think about locations for it then.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
elfa7 said:
WoolyCiv said:
I always try and keep within speed limts especially the lower ones but I am in agreement with stu_iow, I just want to know what the limit is on unfamiliar roads especially just after seeing the sign warning of speed cameras. So for this reason and this reason only I bought a MicroFuzion GPS unit. This cost about £95 with free lifetime updates and before anyone asks I cannot define 'lifetime'.
Does it just plug into the cigar lighter, without any other wiring necessary ?. :wink:
Gee, This has stired up a storm :( . To answer your question elfa, yes it just plugs into the cigar lighter. I have positioned mine in the right hand lower corner of the dash and have had no problems with it or the satnav, interference wise.

For what is worth I agree with the sentiments expressed by Ancient Nerd entirely.

·
336 Posts
I have positioned mine in the right hand lower corner of the dash and have had no problems with it or the satnav, interference wise.
Sorry - me being thick I think, but where's 'the right hand lower corner of the dash' WoolyCiv? [smilie=dunceblock.:

I'm asking because I'll be looking for a spot in the car for mine tomorrow!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Close :)

It's Here

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I think we have to all accept that there are many different opinions on speed limits and GPS detectors.

The debate about this has been recycled - let this topic here be about fitting detectors to the Civ, and we'll leave the debate about cameras for other more general car-related forums.

Ta lads,

Pottsy

·
336 Posts
Unit ordered yesterday morning and arrived at 10.30am today (brilliant service from speedsafe.co.uk!) and now fitted in same location as WoolyCiv - we shall see...... :lol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
holy mother of... LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!! (just to back up people who believe our cars look like spaceships ;) )

Sorry extremely childish I know, but the talk about psp'ing mpgs on another topic got me playing :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts