2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my drive yesterday to Derby from the sunny North East, I came across the most ridiculous driver swerving between slow to middle to fast lane. Keep in mind this was on the M62, so vehicles are travelling fast. Anyways, Mr "I think my Fiesta is an F1 car" continues to swing between lanes like he's Tarzan. Wanting to pass safely, I waited until he was in the slow lane, remained in the middle lane and put my foot down. And as soon as I do this? Yep. There's a police X5 under the bridge, with a laser gun pointing right at me out of the drivers window. I was doing around 92 on my speedo (which I'm presuming is actually around 88)

My question is - the officer was in the drivers seat with the gun himself. So do people think this was to simply check insurance etc, or most deffinately have I been done?

Also, there was a few stops made on vehicles further down the road?

Thanks for any insight, I appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Speed check - they don't use a laser gun for number plate recognition

·
Kennoway Man
611 Posts
I'd second that...

But if you didn't get stopped and it was a PI car then I think you've got away with it tbh

I think they can only get you if they stop you, unlike the wee vans that are all set up.

(Not factual, but I'm 90% sure)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Speed check, the laser gun will only tell them the speed the viechal is traveling, if he had decided you were traveling at an unsafe speed he would of had to pull you over and issue you with a ticket on the spot as he would need picture or video evidence from a speed camera or camera van to prosecute you via post or on a later date.

I would imagen he was aiming at the fast lane anyway, also if you were doing around 88, police guidlines are not to pull people over for speed alone unless over 85 so he may have deemed you as keeping up with the flow of traffic.

If you weren't pulled on the day I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: reikhan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was thinking that too. Plus I was sharing the driving, so they'd need to prove who got caught when, as like I said there was a load of police vehicles about!
I'm genuinely 50/50 we got caught, hopefully the officer saw it was safe (which it deffinately was)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
As people have mentioned above, those radar guns only display your speed to the user. No photo or other evidence is recorded so you've nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Speed check mate, if they don't chase you nothing to worry about.

I was in my friends car recently on a dual carriageway at night, he was accelerating and without realising was doing over double the speed limit (I was the passenger not the driver) in his Corsa VXR... Funnily enough there was a police man standing there with a laser gun, as soon as we flew past him he ran back to his car, but we were already long gone. It's been 3 weeks now and he's still heard nothing...

my point is laser guns are only for speed checks, they don't retain any information other than the speed you were travelling - no photo's or video evidence are retained. If there was a camera van stationary there then you'd have been screwed!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, you've just confined my thoughts exactly!
He must have thought best not to persue when he heard the VTEC lol

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Reactions: reikhan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had me worried too, cheers for the link. Now all my friends will get a nice surprise for the Christmas.

·
Kennoway Man
611 Posts
Reikhan

Any news on it yet mate?
Whether you were caught or not..
Mind you if you've heard nothing yet then am sure you'll be fine :)

Ryan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts