2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Please tell me if you have also had this problem. I have a 2015 Civic SE (not Tourer) which has developed a definite shudder when braking. The shudder is not felt through the steering wheel. It's only felt through the pedal and has been diagnosed as warped discs.

Example : coming up to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, under gentle and sustained braking from 60 mph down to 20 : by the time you are at 20 mph, the whole car feels like its getting stuck on each revolution of the wheels. It's not only noticeable through the pedal but also passengers feel it too. There's no squeaking / squealing of disks, just this continual shudder as you apply constant pressure.

Took it to local mechanic. They suspected warped rear discs, but after taking wheels off and looking at all the discs, no issue found, and discs and pads still with plenty of metal left to wear on them.

They re-greased calipers, cleaned out brake dust, put everything back together. Guess what ? Made no difference at all.

This mechanic is also the one who last fitted new discs ( total cost front discs : €137.00 ) . Do you think they've just put crap cheap disks and pads on ?

I'm taking car to different mech for second opinion before forking out hundreds at a honda main dealer, but any similar experiences from forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--Coop--

·
i-Vtec
2,284 Posts
If its just through the pedal then yes it will be rear discs that are warped. As for the quality hes used, well yes they will be cheap ones if thats all you paid. If you didnt ask him to use Honda disc's and pads he wont have use that, he will have gone to a motor factors and bought the cheapest ones they sell most likely. Just looking at a disc wont really show up its warped, you need to use a run out dial to check that. You dont need to spend hundreds at a main dealer to get good brakes. Youll get Brembos from ECP for less than £100, and a good mechanic should take no more than 1 hour to do the full job.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
This should be in the 9G section as its' a 2015 Model - You'll have all the 10G owners worried it's coming next after their brake squeal issues :laugh:

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake-vibration-common-questions-answered/ Sums it up; And would put you in the same place as the mechanic.

The other points would be:
When your rotors were last changed, did they also change pads?
Are the replacement rotors smooth, with no (intentional) grooves / drilled holes / C-Hooks etc?

And finally, Though unlikely, Is there any ABS Fault indicated / does the VSA Light come on with the pulsation?

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Not too difficult to check/examine if the discs are warped. Dial gauge is prefered but if can't get hold of one, could :

Remove a wheel exposing the disc. Secure a short length of metal, say 300mm length to a heavy object, a brick would do. To the end of the metal bar/'stick', fix/tape a biro so that when the assy is offered up to the face of the disc (at its extremity) the biro tip is approx. 90 deg to the disc face.

Rotate the disc slowly and if the biro tip is positioned with 0.01-0.03 mm clearance from the disc (feeler gauge or piece of newspaper) the disc should complete a turn without touching the disc.

In fact with that lot in place it's not difficult to see the disc running true or not as it's rotated.

With my replacement discs fitted fairly recently, the discs rotated 'spot on' with no run out measurable

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update : shudder has now started to occur when driving without touching the brake ! I've also dropped it into neutral and it still remains : so above about 50 mph there's this nagging vibration, no matter what gear / neutral. It increases significantly under braking.

No idea what is going on, will give it back to main dealer next week for a proper diagnosis.

Seriously thinking about a trade in to a HR-V before it loses any more of its value ( Incidentally is there a "HR-V Info" forum as well ? )

Will update when I hear back.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
check your wheel balance? Easiest to check so do this first.

check your alignment?

could be pad material build up on the surface of the disc, some proper heavy braking then let them cool off whilst driving slow. this is much more likely than warped disc in my experiences (unless you're doing track days)

could be some material/dirt stopping a wheel for seating correctly against the hub, so when the wheels are off wire brush the mounting surface before you re-fit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Please tell me if you have also had this problem. I have a 2015 Civic SE (not Tourer) which has developed a definite shudder when braking. The shudder is not felt through the steering wheel. It's only felt through the pedal and has been diagnosed as warped discs. ..
You can get symtoms like this when a bush is worn on a control arm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts