2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the low-set driving position I became use to in my previous car has tainted me for life, but I cannot for the life of me get a comfortable seating position which does not involve the steering wheel obscuring the oddly placed speedometer.

Sure, i could arch the seat-back forward, thrusting me higher and but then i feel like i'm hunched over the steering wheel and when breaking I have to tense my lower back and keep pressure on the steering wheel instead of just relying on good old gravity to keep me wedged into my seat.

I could also slide my seat back a little and probably still reach the pedals, but with the gear-stick so far forward I'd have to start on 2nd. Of course 3rd / 5th gear would be strictly off limits :stupido:...so that doesn't work either.

In the meantime i'm resigned to making best guestimates of my speed and peering over the wheel when I see those the sneaky yellow boxes approach.

So is it just me or do others have this same gripe?

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Combination of steering rake and seat height adjustment. Or get a cushion.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
The distance between the Speedo and lower dials isn't that great on the 8G's I found.

I also have my seat as low as it will go but I did find a good compromise by using the reach and rake of the steering wheel.

The 9G has a bigger gap so not so much of an issue.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
My steering wheel covers my speedo too. It's definitely a design flaw. I know you shouldn't have to, but you do get used to it.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Can't you just move the steering wheel down abit? I have the seat as low as it will go and providing the wheel is adjusted correctly everything can be seen

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, so, after a further session of steering-wheel and seat adjustment I think I've finally nailed it. Had to pull the steering a bit forward, seat a notch further back and now much better :marchmellow:

Can't you just move the steering wheel down abit? I have the seat as low as it will go and providing the wheel is adjusted correctly everything can be seen

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
No problem her - you'll probably find you are sitting too low and too reclined for safety if you can't see the speedo... I see many people trying to drive like that (usually blokes trying to look cool or ladies who don;t seem to understand ther is a seat height adjuster) and it makes me cringe every time.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I have same problem mate, I like sitting as low as poss to , to get a good driving position, you do get used to it, I've turned on my speed alarms which helps give you heads up when your concentrating on the road ahead , i have two set , one comes on at 20mph and one at 40 mph ! Honest Mr officer LOL.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Is everyone short on this site? My seats as far back and as low as it goes, steering wheel blocks the top of the rev counter and all the warning light bits......
Nope - 5ft 11... but I prefer to be able to see where I'm going (it's generally safer, easier, more ergonomic and more comfortable ) so I have my seat height raised up as opposed to trying to look cool like some do... not that I'm saying that's you... ;-)

Doing so means I can see out and still see pretty much everything on the dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I test drove mine, I actually asked the seller where the speedo was :smile3:
The steering wheel blocked it out perfectly. I quite like the position now I know where it is though.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
6ft 5 and no I've got no idea how fast I was going Mr Policeman, blame Honda.
I'm 6ft 7, with the seat as low as it goes there's at least a 2inch gap between the top of the wheel and where the bottom of the speedo is in my line of sight...lol

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Do you need your speedo anyways? I can tell how much is my speed if i know which gear and just by hearing the engine.. Joke aside im 6.1 and i can set it up in a way so i can see revs and speed.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Funny, my 8g I have no problems at all. 5ft 10, seat on lowest setting, and I can see all dials and speedo perfect. I would say the design is perfection.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I did find in my 8G's that the steering wheel position had to be 'just so'.

I also had my drivers seat at rock bottom and to see the speedo just over the top of the wheel I had to sacrifice seeing some of the warning lights like the 'lights on' green one.

Fortunately no such issue on the 9G.

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
Just to put my 2p's worth. Seat base should be in a location that the pedals are within easy reach of couse combined with good support to the back of your legs. Then the seat back should be adjusted so with your arms strait out, your wrists are on top of the wheel. Therefore when holding the wheel you have a slight bend in your arms. Its a good starting point then fine tune with the wheel adjustment. :smile3:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts