2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the plastic lid from my grande 4-shot Americano parted company with the paper cup causing me to drop it in my lap as I was doing 59mph, downhill, in a massive downpour. Fortunately I don't like my coffee hot so the pain in my lap was tolerable as I pulled into a lay-by to sort the mess out. I managed to pad the leather seats dry and have cleaned them as per instructions but what I would like to ask is will the coffee have soaked down through the breathe holes in the leather and will the heated elements freak out at the moisture if switched on?

I've just had the fuse box replaced under a recall waranty and don't want to be taking a trip to my nearest dealer (45 miles) for a new fuse :facepalm:

Any hints and tips gratefully received.

Al

PS - yes I burned my ...... thingy..... :rolleyes:

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
i cant comment for certain having not stripped one apart, but, the elements should be coated to prevent that.

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
327 Posts
ohhh and I hope yer "thingy" heals without issue :)

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Here's a hint for you, don't drink and drive ;p

I bit into a pastie once on the motorway and the hot contents exited the rear end of it and deposited right in my lap. Free roast nuts.

Since then all foodstuffs and beverages get consumed while the car is stationary, lol.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
if it's standard foam under the leather, then it will soak up the coffee before it's gets anywhere near the heating elements....
if it's injection moulded foam, ie. cold cure etc then it wont soak in, but as said the elements should be protected and the leather will absorb some of it, use baby wipes on the affected area as this will keep the leather supple.

you'll be fine !!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wait till winter when you switch the heated seats on - free coffee aroma air freshener lol

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
i wouldnt use baby wipes on it as they are not good for leather,use a proper leather cleaner with conditioner in it

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I make no comment regarding driving at 60 mph, whilst drinking coffee, as I understand the b-ggers may soon make it an offence for me to smoke my pipe when driving. If I had to give that up, I would be back on 40 a day.:(
As mentioned - the heated seat wires are insulated and unless you were drinking 2 litres at the time, it shouldn't have got anywhere near them.
Don't use any chemical cleaner for the leather, only the proper cleaner stuff for poor cows hide.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
not all so called "leather cleaners" help here, it really does depend on whats in them, which is why i recommended baby wipes as they are easily available and won't harm the fabric, plus they will neutralise the odour of the coffee,
also some tanning processes strip the leather of it's natural oils and make the hide brittle and anymore chemicals will cause premature wear...

if the foam used is cm, cmhr or rx then you shouldn't have any problems with smells later on in life, regardless of the heated seat elements,

i've been supplying upholstery products to the trade for over 20 years !!

you'll be fine :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts