1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Supporter
641 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi guys
Need some advise on what is the best adhesive to bond a type r spoiler to my rear..

Have heard about tiger seal is this the best option ?

Where would i get this stuff ?
Use 2 OEM bolts and windshield adhesive! Mine was done in this way...

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Hi guys
Need some advise on what is the best adhesive to bond a type r spoiler to my rear..

Have heard about tiger seal is this the best option ?

Where would i get this stuff ?
This is a great question as I bought a Carbon Fiber Type R spoiler for me :types: and no shop around me will install as they will not drill into the Perspex! I have been told that "no nails" is good, but I am trying find an adhesive that will 100% hold on the autobahn. (sorry if I kinda hijacked!)

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2,111 Posts
This is a great question as I bought a Carbon Fiber Type R spoiler for me :types: and no shop around me will install as they will not drill into the Perspex! I have been told that "no nails" is good, but I am trying find an adhesive that will 100% hold on the autobahn. (sorry if I kinda hijacked!)

I used dark Tec7. Works like a treat ;) :D

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
I bonded mine an wouldn't recommend it as mine is starting to loosen.

Also, big, big piece of advice- make sure you use clear glue!!!

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
I wouldnt bond anything to a car unless it would never have to come off again.

I`ve got a CTR rear spoiler to put on my CTS and i`ll be drilling the holes and using bolt`s.

If i ever have the mis-fortune of getting my rear screen smashed and i bonded the spoiler on it would have to come off to fit the new screen and the spoiler would get wrecked.

If you are going down the road of bonding then windsceen bond would be your best bet, But remember to use primer on both surfaces that you intend to put the bond on and it will never shift.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
My local shop said that they can attach the sides of my Carbon Fiber Type R spoiler on my Type S like the Type S spoiler was then glue it on with windscreen adhesive along the boot lip. All for €50! It goes in next week...will post pics and details.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excellent!
Did you apply the tigerseal along the edge all the way to the wing tips?
I bought a replica Type R spoiler but it doesn't perfectly fit onto the tailgate. There is a gap of 10mm on each side. :(
I am thinking to use some double sided tape to fill the gap.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent!
Did you apply the tigerseal along the edge all the way to the wing tips?
I bought a replica Type R spoiler but it doesn't perfectly fit onto the tailgate. There is a gap of 10mm on each side. :(
I am thinking to use some double sided tape to fill the gap.
Mine was a genuine part so i just put the sealant along where the double sided sticky was,
10mm gap dont sound right mate, pop a pic up if you can

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is the best I can position as you can see the gaps. I know it doesn't look right. What can I do? Should I go ahead just to bond the centre leaving the gaps? How about some Mammoth adhesive tape to fill the gaps? This is very frustrating to me. Please help me out. :(

Attachments

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
This is the best I can position as you can see the gaps. I know it doesn't look right. What can I do? Should I go ahead just to bond the centre leaving the gaps? How about some Mammoth adhesive tape to fill the gaps? This is very frustrating to me. Please help me out. :(
I'd send it back and get a refund mate. If you shop around you can get a genuine CTR spoiler for not much more than the fake ones.

Mine only cost me £70 including postage.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats defo not right mate, I'd look into getting a refund on that you won't be happy if you bond that on i know i would'nt

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Thats definitely not right. I have a replica one, and there is no gap. Get a refund!

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
wow thats really odd! I have a replica one and dont have anything like that.

Mine is bonded on with black sikaflex. I was too much of a wimp to drill holes in the tailgate ledge. It can easily be put back to standard as it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts