2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busy day tomorrow as we have the Spoon DC5 demo car in for a heap of mods then mapping.

Going to fit all the bolt-on parts then map it then fit the Spoon camshafts and remap it again so will get a good comparison on the same day.

Will post updates as we go so keep an eye on our Facebook tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will see what box's appear in the morning but I understand its throttle body, manifolds, exhaust and the specifically the cams and remapping on Hondata ready for the show season :)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
For some reason I read FN2 . Spoon cams would be one of the only options I'd run tbh. Be interesting to see standalone results on them . Especially over JDMs.

that's me on FB all day tomorrow

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Be interesting to see the results. As you sell spoon parts has anyone fitted a spoon catback to an fn2 yet?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Results weren't quite what we expected but obvious when you look back in what was happening when these cams were developed 10 years ago and what was happening in Japan and Asia in the N1 scene back then.

Will post up details later.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Interesting and surprising results.

Good work though in keeping tests good and honest. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have posted up pictures on our FB site now :)
https://www.facebook.com/TDiNorth

Yesterday we were lucky enough to have Spoon Europe's DC5 demo car in for mapping and to carry out some trials on their drop in K20 cams.

We ran the car with stock JDM cams to start with then proceeded to remap the car with a Hondata ecu.

Specification is as follows:
Stock DC5 airbox, Spoon throttle body, Stock PRC intake manifold, Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 manifold, Spoon N1 catback

Once completed we carried out a cam change and remapped to suit the new setup.

What we discovered took us a bit by suprise but when you realise that these cams were developed 10 years ago when mappable ECUs weren't available and when supplied with Spoon refreshed ECUs to extract best out of them which is similar to what Mugen and Toda were also doing at the time with all the N1 racing it all makes sense.

The results when compared with the JDM cams mapped to the car did show gains but only after 8000rpm.
If you had an increased limiter to say 9000, then with vtec at 5500 you have a cam profile ideally suited to high revving track racing compared to the more midrange punchy JDM cams that peak at lower rpm.

The Spoon cams have less lift compared to the JDMs and other aftermarket cams possibly to protect the motors if running at higher rpm and reduce the risk of valve float and again this gives a good indication of the reduced output compared to the JDMs.

To drive the car actually felt a lot more responsive than with the JDMs and pulls very strong right to the limiter.
Best comparison I could give would be that it was like driving a car with Skunk2 cams in the way they pulled hard at high rpm.

It would have been nice to see the curve running to 9000rpm but I wouldn't want to push a customers car past the 8600 limiter even though it would have probably been ok to do for a single pull.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting and surprising results.

Good work though in keeping tests good and honest. :thumbsup:
Didn't want to post anything until I had spoken to Spoon yesterday hence the delay.

Just shows how things have moved on development wise with learning gained, doors opening with the introduction of mappable ecu's, uprating valvetrains etc.

Thing is if you wanted to organise a controlled single series event then issuing control cams and control ecu is the way to do it and was quite often the case at the time.
Considerably better when coupled together with set mods than the stock setup but for aftermarket applications where we the end users sit we aren't restrained by the same limits so have a lot more freedom to modify. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts