2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after some feedback from those who have put a sports cat on their fn2. I am planning to flange a 200 cell cat into the b pipe of my milltek non res. I could squeeze one into the short run from the cat flange of the b pipe to the 90 degree bend or I could have it in the longer run under the drivers seat.

1. How have MOT's been? Passed/failed?
2. Any particular branded cat recommendations?
3. How long have they lasted?

Ta.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Just from having read threads about it, it seems that most people go with a 400 cell to pass MOT. They generally fit it where the silencer would be on the OEM system, under the driver's seat, in a bolt-in section that can be removed if desired.

Are you planning to replace the manifold/downpipe?

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Got a new de cat header to go on, just need convincing what to do about the cat.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I have had solid fab manifolds on an EP3 and also my first FN2. Both are slightly different designs but use the same 200 cell sports cat.

These cats were at the end of the manifold section.

Both passed mot after a year or so of fitment but I only did a few thousand miles in each car at most. Also the cat is closer to the engine for heat to work.

If further away from manifold I'd prefer a 400 cell. Hopefully you can find ones with good reviews that last and aren't just for temporary testing purposes.

Might be tight to fit where you want though.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. It's looking like a 400 cell under the drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Flashy,

On my old old HKS Legamax, the removable cat would bolt into the exhaust towards the rear of the car, pretty much where the back seat is. It was a 400CEL cat and it passed MOTs no problem (always after a good blast to make sure it was warmed up!)

Tom.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I'm not sure as I bought my exhaust and cat off an old member on here (Pigdog) - if memory serves me right it was a Tegiwa.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bud.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@TommyBoy

What was performance like with the 400 cat and mani compared to oem?

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Pfft. My 200 cell passed fine! There's lots of cheap ones on EBay, the difficulty is finding one small enough. One would hope that tegiwa version is long lasting other I'd choose another branded one. I bet it won't be cheap all though, which is why I suggested go decat and install a cheap removable sports cat only for MOT. The high flow cats on my 370z are 300 cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know what happens to the sensors? On oem they plug into the cat, so if they plug straight into the race header then readings will be pre cat. What will that mean?

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, ok but you still plug the sensors into the header? Also I read that the calibration has to be a MAP one and not a MAF one?

Attachments

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Precat in top, post cat in middle, bung in the bottom. Make sure the installer uses lock wire on the bottom one as they have a tendency to pop out (on the Tegs anyway).

The EML is then turned off using the FP, if the light does come on before you have chance with the FP then a battery reset removes it.

As for fuelling TDi used MAP on mine / most. I believe MAF can still be used as the O2 is unaffected it's only the second sensor that detects if your cat is dead that is switched off hence the EML. I believe MAP is safer iirc as you're not relying on the O2 and MAF sensors being healthy as they are essentially turned off except for on idle. (Was a while ago since Paul explained it to me so not 100% sure if that's 100% correct).

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers bud. I'll check with Chris what he uses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts