2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well mine finally arrived today - and it looked really good in the box. Came to screw it on and found that the inner thread is in a completely different position to the standard one, so it makes the gear change a whole load longer. This in turn makes the change much slower to use, since you have to move it a load further.

My advice, if you're thinking about it - don't bother!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I'm so glad that you've posted this up here with your views as it was something I was really considering ordering - but won't bother now.

It's a shame because there's no doubt that it looks better than the Standard stick, but the draw backs that you mention I couldn't put up with for too long!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. To get it as far down as the photo shows took a lot of work too - at first it was miles higher! Had to drill out part of the female thread area...

·
您看了
456 Posts
So this is maybe a simple question (as In "i'm simple for having to ask it") but......

How easy is it to get the old gearknob off? and whats the trick?

I fancy changing the standard one (I wear a ring on my left hand and the silver colour is not the most resiliant, its already wearing off) but dont really like the one pictured above.

Is the thread size standard? What size to I need? etc etc

currently wondering if the old shape Civic Type-R alloy knob will fit on without much modification..... :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just a case of screw off, then screw on. Not sure on the thread size - but I'm going to bet it's the same as the previous model. Just find someone with a CTR or S2000 and do a swap!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was going to buy the sports gearknob until I read this seeing as I find the orginal knob rather cheap feeling (the only real bad point about the interior).

So instead I used the sports gearknob I bought for my Honda Jazz (exactly the same as the Civic Type-R gearknob) and its fits perfectly. Just screw on and tighten the nut with a spanner.

I'm sure the change is smoother and quicker!

Of course, the Jazz gearknob has the 5-speed H pattern but who cares. :)

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Pottsy said:
It's just a case of screw off, then screw on. Not sure on the thread size - but I'm going to bet it's the same as the previous model. Just find someone with a CTR or S2000 and do a swap!
Any pics of the S2k CTR "Knobs"?

·
Registered
230 Posts
i too have the sports gear knob. it is a bit chinkier i must say but looks much nicer.

Is the CTR gear knob the same as the old generation accord sport gear knob? i personally prefer that 1.

CTR gear knob on sale now on ebay anyway. only 1 i could find. currently at £10.50 with £6 delivery charge and bidding.. ends in 2 days.

happy bidding ^^

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Thx CivPilot, not sure which I like, the CTR looks better I think, anything better that the one we have. Thing is I quite like the shap of ours with the little indent at the front, shame it looks crap.

·
您看了
456 Posts
I'm just getting annoyed with the coating. I wear a ring on my left hand and the silver does scratch off leaving a dull grey exposed. Thankfully this his only happened around the edges near the faux leather trim, but bloody annoying.

I'm thinking CTR gearknob, or maybe if I can find one at a reasonable price.....

A spoon one.....

Heres a completed listing.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spoon-Sports-TITANIUM-gear-knob-BOXED-Honda-civic_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ122141QQitemZ8060591136QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
At the moment I have ordered that for my Civic. Now after reading this I'm not sure anymore.
Since the delivery isn't for a couple more months I'm in no rush really.

Any more opinions from people who have bought a sports gear knob for theirs? Does it make that much of a difference?

It looks OK in the picture above. I realize that it's been 'adjusted' to be lower and
that doing so isn't the easiest task for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. (someone like me)

Is Pottsy the only one? Did you scare everyone else to not buying it? :wink:

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Has any one noticed their gear knob moving while changing? Noticed it the other day. Now I seem to be re-postioning it every trip :(

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
Has any one noticed their gear knob moving while changing? Noticed it the other day. Now I seem to be re-postioning it every trip :(
This happened to me embarassingly whilst showing the car off :)

Basically I tightened the knob another turn, and it's spot on now!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Bit worried about over tightening!!!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
Bit worried about over tightening!!!
So was I - but I figured worst case it went in for a warranty repair.

There's at least another turn on it, anyway.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Tightened it up.....my god that last bit was a bit tight.

Reactions: stefbog
1 - 20 of 125 Posts