2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a 9th gen Civic today, passed me while I was out on a drive...

Thought it might be one of those things that looks better in the flesh. Can't think what Honda were playing at when they came up with the design. Compare it to the 8th gen and it just looks bland and boring.

Safe to say the 8th gen will be the last model of Civic I own, until it gets another redesign. Roll on 10th gen...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I felt the same after seeing it on the road. its like they designed the front and let the tea boy finish the rest.

I won't be changing my civil for a while but I will be looking to other manufactures see what they come out with.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It looks decent in the showroom its when you get it outside in the light you realise what a horror it is.

It's a bit like one of those dark dingy nightclubs where you pull a bird expecting great things:

and then when you get her outside in the light at 5am its:

I also have to say the interior leaves me dead. Dark and dinghy with those nice alu touches missing. No sportyness at all.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
BTCC versions look pretty smart, mind you... Very much enjoyed watching Sheds yesterday!

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole thing just looks like they've taken a step backwards, quite disappointing really.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Saw my first one the other day, only spotted it because of the DRL's. it looks very boring and blends in with traffic very well.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Saw my first one on the road to West Wales as I was going the other way, front looked good, the rear the less said.:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Ive seen loads of these now to be honest the design is growing on me the more i see it i like it white is the best colour for it

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
It's so boring! It's got nothing good going on and I hate it.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I was mildly impressed when viewing an EX GT at an Arnold Shark preview event last November......but when i seen my first model on the road last month, the first thing that struck me was how bland it looked. :(

Given time, i have been known to change my opinion on updated models of the same car in the past, but i really cant see that happening with the 9G Civic. Well not unless they do something to make it stand out from the crowd.

I agree the BTCC car does look very nice, but its so covered in stickers that it kind of disguises the true look of the car. In fact while watching Gordon Shedden being nudged into the kitty litter during the last race on Sunday, i was almost struggling at times to tell it apart from an 8G car. :lol:

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Saw my first one the other day, only spotted it because of the DRL's. it looks very boring and blends in with traffic very well.
The 8th Gen started blending in with traffic 5 1/2 years ago.

;)

Its a bit of a enigma the 9th gen, from most angles it looks brilliant but there a couple of angles that make it look a bit frumpy grandma.

I think if they could have put some kind of more distinctive sculpting / feature along the sides it would have went a long way to improving its looks.

Drives beautifully though, having had both an 8th Gen 2.2 ex and a FN2 i would choose the 9th gen over both of them any day..........ugly looks n`all

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
The 8th Gen started blending in with traffic 5 1/2 years ago.

;)
I kind of disagree.

Every time I walk back to my 8th gen Type S in a car park and look at the cars around it, its stands out like sore thumb as a sporty car, almost like a sports coupe even though its only really a 3 door hatch, whilst the other cars all look bland. I've yet to see another mainstream car in a car park that compares. Only if you find an out and sports car parked nearby do you have anything remotely comparable for looks.

Maybe the non Type S might not stand out quite as well, but the S certainly does.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
i agree totally jamesabberdeen73, very pleased with the new car and wouldnt go back my 8th gen civic again. and like you say stronger sculpting on the large side pannels would make a huge difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In Australia, ive been driving my 8th Gen Type R for nearly 5 years now and i still get people in the street admiring the car. Even i still admire the car. The design might be 6 years old, but it has really stood the test of time in Australia where the market isnt saturated with them.

I was willing to put up with Honda's expensive parts and servicing for this because it was worth it. The looks made the 8G feel special even if it was technically flawed. With the 9G, its the other way around. They went too technical and forgot about the looks. Because it looks like most cars out there i would no longer stand out from the crowd in one of these, so i wont be getting one.

Im looking at a Hyundai Veloster Turbo when it arrives. It has the looks that will keep me excited for years, and the only thing im sacrificing here is the better interior of the 9G. I love the HUD in my 8G, i believe all cars should have one. But Hyundai's cheaper parts and serving (gf has a new Elantra) will make everything worth it in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reminds me of an Integra. I saw one on the drive back from Derby over Easter As I just purchased a 8th Gen model and wanted to give it a good shake down on the M1. Was not overly impressed at first glance but it is still OK. For me Civics are always like this. I like one model alot and then not the next.

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I kind of disagree.

Every time I walk back to my 8th gen Type S in a car park and look at the cars around it, its stands out like sore thumb as a sporty car, almost like a sports coupe even though its only really a 3 door hatch, whilst the other cars all look bland. I've yet to see another mainstream car in a car park that compares. Only if you find an out and sports car parked nearby do you have anything remotely comparable for looks.

Maybe the non Type S might not stand out quite as well, but the S certainly does.

Maybe 5 years ago but now even the type-s looks pretty average and a bit dated in my opinion.

Its simply been around so long that it no longer gets a second look from me.

In its day a beautiful car and a groundbreaking design that shook up the industry

·
Registered
41 Posts
The veloster has my vote over the new civ. shame as I wanted to stick with Honda.

At the end of the day everyone is different some will like the new civic some won't, if you shelled out 27 your not going to say you don't like it.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
In Australia, ive been driving my 8th Gen Type R for nearly 5 years now and i still get people in the street admiring the car. Even i still admire the car. The design might be 6 years old, but it has really stood the test of time in Australia where the market isnt saturated with them.

I was willing to put up with Honda's expensive parts and servicing for this because it was worth it. The looks made the 8G feel special even if it was technically flawed. With the 9G, its the other way around. They went too technical and forgot about the looks. Because it looks like most cars out there i would no longer stand out from the crowd in one of these, so i wont be getting one.

Im looking at a Hyundai Veloster Turbo when it arrives. It has the looks that will keep me excited for years, and the only thing im sacrificing here is the better interior of the 9G. I love the HUD in my 8G, i believe all cars should have one. But Hyundai's cheaper parts and serving (gf has a new Elantra) will make everything worth it in the end.
Good idea seeing as you'll no doubt be buying much more of them.:popcorn:

The veloster has my vote over the new civ. shame as I wanted to stick with Honda.

At the end of the day everyone is different some will like the new civic some won't, if you shelled out 27 your not going to say you don't like it.
Have you seen the Veloster in the flesh? all bar the oh so novel 3 doors which you'll get bored with on day two, have you seen the amount of hard touch plastics in it?
Blimey, if the shocking website is anything to go buy, they can keep it lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts