2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Spotted a 9th gen today...

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  electric 
#1 ·
Spotted a 9th gen Civic today, passed me while I was out on a drive...

Thought it might be one of those things that looks better in the flesh. Can't think what Honda were playing at when they came up with the design. Compare it to the 8th gen and it just looks bland and boring.

Safe to say the 8th gen will be the last model of Civic I own, until it gets another redesign. Roll on 10th gen...

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes I felt the same after seeing it on the road. its like they designed the front and let the tea boy finish the rest.

I won't be changing my civil for a while but I will be looking to other manufactures see what they come out with.

#3 · (Edited)
It looks decent in the showroom its when you get it outside in the light you realise what a horror it is.

It's a bit like one of those dark dingy nightclubs where you pull a bird expecting great things:

and then when you get her outside in the light at 5am its:

I also have to say the interior leaves me dead. Dark and dinghy with those nice alu touches missing. No sportyness at all.

#7 ·
Saw my first one the other day, only spotted it because of the DRL's. it looks very boring and blends in with traffic very well.

#12 · (Edited)
The 8th Gen started blending in with traffic 5 1/2 years ago.

;)

Its a bit of a enigma the 9th gen, from most angles it looks brilliant but there a couple of angles that make it look a bit frumpy grandma.

I think if they could have put some kind of more distinctive sculpting / feature along the sides it would have went a long way to improving its looks.

Drives beautifully though, having had both an 8th Gen 2.2 ex and a FN2 i would choose the 9th gen over both of them any day..........ugly looks n`all

#11 ·
I was mildly impressed when viewing an EX GT at an Arnold Shark preview event last November......but when i seen my first model on the road last month, the first thing that struck me was how bland it looked. :(

Given time, i have been known to change my opinion on updated models of the same car in the past, but i really cant see that happening with the 9G Civic. Well not unless they do something to make it stand out from the crowd.

I agree the BTCC car does look very nice, but its so covered in stickers that it kind of disguises the true look of the car. In fact while watching Gordon Shedden being nudged into the kitty litter during the last race on Sunday, i was almost struggling at times to tell it apart from an 8G car. :lol:

#16 ·
In Australia, ive been driving my 8th Gen Type R for nearly 5 years now and i still get people in the street admiring the car. Even i still admire the car. The design might be 6 years old, but it has really stood the test of time in Australia where the market isnt saturated with them.

I was willing to put up with Honda's expensive parts and servicing for this because it was worth it. The looks made the 8G feel special even if it was technically flawed. With the 9G, its the other way around. They went too technical and forgot about the looks. Because it looks like most cars out there i would no longer stand out from the crowd in one of these, so i wont be getting one.

Im looking at a Hyundai Veloster Turbo when it arrives. It has the looks that will keep me excited for years, and the only thing im sacrificing here is the better interior of the 9G. I love the HUD in my 8G, i believe all cars should have one. But Hyundai's cheaper parts and serving (gf has a new Elantra) will make everything worth it in the end.

#20 ·
In Australia, ive been driving my 8th Gen Type R for nearly 5 years now and i still get people in the street admiring the car. Even i still admire the car. The design might be 6 years old, but it has really stood the test of time in Australia where the market isnt saturated with them.

I was willing to put up with Honda's expensive parts and servicing for this because it was worth it. The looks made the 8G feel special even if it was technically flawed. With the 9G, its the other way around. They went too technical and forgot about the looks. Because it looks like most cars out there i would no longer stand out from the crowd in one of these, so i wont be getting one.

Im looking at a Hyundai Veloster Turbo when it arrives. It has the looks that will keep me excited for years, and the only thing im sacrificing here is the better interior of the 9G. I love the HUD in my 8G, i believe all cars should have one. But Hyundai's cheaper parts and serving (gf has a new Elantra) will make everything worth it in the end.
Good idea seeing as you'll no doubt be buying much more of them.:popcorn:

The veloster has my vote over the new civ. shame as I wanted to stick with Honda.

At the end of the day everyone is different some will like the new civic some won't, if you shelled out 27 your not going to say you don't like it.
Have you seen the Veloster in the flesh? all bar the oh so novel 3 doors which you'll get bored with on day two, have you seen the amount of hard touch plastics in it?
Blimey, if the shocking website is anything to go buy, they can keep it lol

#17 ·
Reminds me of an Integra. I saw one on the drive back from Derby over Easter As I just purchased a 8th Gen model and wanted to give it a good shake down on the M1. Was not overly impressed at first glance but it is still OK. For me Civics are always like this. I like one model alot and then not the next.

#23 ·
Have you seen the Veloster in the flesh? all bar the oh so novel 3 doors which you'll get bored with on day two, have you seen the amount of hard touch plastics in it?
Blimey, if the shocking website is anything to go buy, they can keep it lol[/QUOTE]

Just had alook at the website, looks ok, the car that is. The inside isn't too bad the steering wheel very similar designed to the 8gen Civ. Cabin looks quite funky and realy like the exterior styling, twin centre exhuats, flaired sides, quite sporty looking.

Choice - Hard Plastics, Great Styling or Soft Plastics, Ugly Car :popcorn:

#24 · (Edited)
I was a bit dissappointed the first time I saw the new Civic. Still think the old one stands out in a crowd, and look way better than most of its competitors. But the new Civic has really grown on me. And when I took it for a testdrive I was sold...it feel SO much better built than the old one. The one I drove was only a 1.4 but I loved it. I'll keep my 08 for a couple more years probably, but I think I know what to get next.... :)

#25 ·
I was a bit dissappointed the first time I saw the new Civic. Still think the old one stands out in a crowd, and look way better than most of its competitors. But the new Civic has really grown on me. And when I took it for a testdrive I was sold...it
Did you test the heating? I find my 8G slow to heat up even in England.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.