2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(Okaaaay........................this is getting on my mammeries!

In Feb when I took the car in for it's service I asked them to investigate a squeak which appeared to be coming from the steering column (I thought) when I turned the wheels Left.

Unsurprisingly they said they couldn't replicate the sound.....

After a rather difficult recent exchange over warranty issues/end of warranty I was told they could do a pre end of warranty check on the car (I don't think this was done...)

The squeak is now more noticable and it transpires is louder outside the car -only realised when the missus was pulling into the curb to pick me up!

Any ideas - car is a 2008 Type R with around 25K on the clock (spent it's first year in storage at dealer as it was a demonstrator that wasn't used) surely this can't be another frick up by Honda's amazin' quality build?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Hmm in all honesty, Ive heard and witness many of the faults, and to be honest, I'd class myself as a bit of a pro on the fault side.... Although rarely do I hear of steering issues, especially on the Type R, heard a few on the type s and Diesels.....

Maybe the steering rack, my ep3 done something similar when turning right... Whats it like on full lock? What's the squeak like? Continous? How loud? Heard from outside?

Could be the linkage?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's intermitent as you steer - sounds a bit like slowly pulling a cork (althoug a little more rubbery like a trainer on a court) if you get my drift.

Pretty loud outside of car, once on full lock it stops and is ok the other way!

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Maybe as simple as some lubrication, but if I was to point the finger, it would be at the steering rack.... Open the bonnet and spray the rack with some wd40, also spray some between the steering wheel... See what it's like for a week or so...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts