2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've identified an annoying squeaky/rattle, kind of continuous vibration noise that comes from around the trim panel to the side of the rear passenger seats. It happens on any road surface that isn't perfectly smooth. If you press this area the noise stops. It sounds almost like something inside the panel is loose, I'm fearing some mechanism for the airbag? Any instructions anywhere on how to remove the trim from this area so I can pad it with something? Or any details of what is actually behind the panel in that position? It doesn't do it the other side so I'm wondering if its worth taking to the dealer. Worried it might mean the airbag won't deploy properly if something is broken in there. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
One possibility. I think there is a cable behind that panel which is held in place with sticky tape. The tape can come loose and the cable taps against the metalwork.

Or the panel itself is tapping against abutting panels.

Or the rubber seal around door is prone to creaking.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The panel isn't so easy to remove. The best I can suggest is to pull away the rubber door seal along edge of panel, you should now be able to pry the edge of the panel sufficiently to see the cable. If you can manipulate the cable to determine if it is the cause of the noise, then inserting some foam rubber might fix it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok I had a look behind the panel - I don't think its the yellow cable - I tried prodding it and padding it with a cloth but whatever I tried I could still hear it rattling when I tapped the outside of the panel. It sounds like its coming from higher up as you look in the gap from the edge of the door. Looks like I can see the air bag up there and various metal bits and it sounds like its coming from the metal bits. Is there any way I can get the top of the plastic panel to come away from the cloth/foam roofing material? Its around that join that I think the issue is coming from. It sounds like metal hitting metal though or at least metal hitting plastic so think if I could get access from the top of the plastic panel (rather than the door edge) I might be able to find it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
I've identified an annoying squeaky/rattle, kind of continuous vibration noise that comes from around the trim panel to the side of the rear passenger seats. It happens on any road surface that isn't perfectly smooth. If you press this area the noise stops. It sounds almost like something inside the panel is loose, I'm fearing some mechanism for the airbag? Any instructions anywhere on how to remove the trim from this area so I can pad it with something? Or any details of what is actually behind the panel in that position? It doesn't do it the other side so I'm wondering if its worth taking to the dealer. Worried it might mean the airbag won't deploy properly if something is broken in there. Thanks.
I have plastic creak noise from rear. From rear side courtin airbag.
Today I found that the noise is transported in her point your picture by the lock of rear seat. In this point put few insulating tape (look pict) and the noise stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
The another noise source possibility is the rear seat belts fastener .If it is not in use then it can hit the plastic which is close to the rear seat.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Ok I had a look behind the panel - I don't think its the yellow cable - I tried prodding it and padding it with a cloth but whatever I tried I could still hear it rattling when I tapped the outside of the panel. It sounds like its coming from higher up as you look in the gap from the edge of the door. Looks like I can see the air bag up there and various metal bits and it sounds like its coming from the metal bits. Is there any way I can get the top of the plastic panel to come away from the cloth/foam roofing material? Its around that join that I think the issue is coming from. It sounds like metal hitting metal though or at least metal hitting plastic so think if I could get access from the top of the plastic panel (rather than the door edge) I might be able to find it. Thanks!

Hi benjamino,

did you get anywhere with solving your noise? I think I have the same issue as you, pressing the rear airbag area stops the noise, but I am alittle concerned about padding this area due to the airbag being there, any advice, anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Hi benjamino,

did you get anywhere with solving your noise? I think I have the same issue as you, pressing the rear airbag area stops the noise, but I am alittle concerned about padding this area due to the airbag being there, any advice, anyone?
Had the same problem with passenger's side curtain airbag, but the sound came from the front pillar, not from the back like yours. The only solution to this, is to remove the plastic (which side airbag is written on it) and fill the gaps with sponge or tape or any insulating material like these ones.
You can remove the front plastic by hitting to the top of it with your hand, so a clip becomes loose and by pulling it, it easily comes off. The problem is firstly that the clip may need replacing after the bang with the hand as it's very sensitive and secondly do not know if it' s the same technique for removing the rear plastic pillar although I suppose it's the same. Hope I helped!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi benjamino,

I've tried a few times but it's seem almost impossible to remove that panel without taking most of the boot lining out as well! I'm still plagued by the rattle, it's by far the most annoying and intrusive sound and one day I'll get round to seeing the dealer about it. I don't really want to add anything as I'm worried about the airbag too.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have exactly the same annoying squeek/rattle, I tried padding the parcel shelf, removing the parcel shelf but that didn't work, then I noticed that the car jack wasn't quite tight enough but that didn't work, the only thing that worked was dropping the N/R rear seat down, i'll give Jimp's method a go next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts