2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've done some researching into my terrible noise upon starting the car up in the morning, it's almost like a screaming squealing noise from the drivers side rear.

I'm not sure if it's the suspension creak anymore, could it be sticking brake? It doesnt make the high pitch screech in reverse, only forward, can anyone give me any pointers how to diagnose it?

:(

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Hi guys,

I've done some researching into my terrible noise upon starting the car up in the morning, it's almost like a screaming squealing noise from the drivers side rear.

I'm not sure if it's the suspension creak anymore, could it be sticking brake? It doesnt make the high pitch screech in reverse, only forward, can anyone give me any pointers how to diagnose it?

:(
Is it not the indicator to say that your brakes are well worn? I know a lot of aftermarket don't have this but I reckon OEM would....

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it not the indicator to say that your brakes are well worn? I know a lot of aftermarket don't have this but I reckon OEM would....
Well on first thoughts I would have thought that too, but they were all brand new less than 10K ago apparently and I only drive a lazy 15 minutes to work everyday

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Jack up the back end and check both wheels rotate freely.

There maybe a stone jammed in the stone guard?

Does it only happen initially? - it's not clear in the OP...

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Well on first thoughts I would have thought that too, but they were all brand new less than 10K ago apparently and I only drive a lazy 15 minutes to work everyday
Jack it up and see how freely it spins? If there's anything binding you should be able to hear it...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. It seems to make the noise loudest upon start up, and just listening out for it, it SEEMS to be making the noise even coming to a slow slow stop.

Will do what you suggested later and see how goes

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does sound to be brake related possibly the handbrake just not releasing fully at first until the car is driven, compounded by the friction material of the pad squealing against the disc and again at low speeds as you say. If possible leave the handbrake off overnight and see if there is any difference if so then remove pads and apply anti squeal grease or change the pads for a better quality set. Most handbrakes if left on overnight don't release fully until the car moves then the pads clear the disc. Could just be cheap pads were used at renewal.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does sound to be brake related possibly the handbrake just not releasing fully at first until the car is driven, compounded by the friction material of the pad squealing against the disc and again at low speeds as you say. If possible leave the handbrake off overnight and see if there is any difference if so then remove pads and apply anti squeal grease or change the pads for a better quality set. Most handbrakes if left on overnight don't release fully until the car moves then the pads clear the disc. Could just be cheap pads were used at renewal.
Perhaps! The mechanic who changed my breaks for me had a civic himself so I don't know if he's that bad. I wouldn't really mind a new set of brakes, as sometimes I get a rocking sort of sensation when breaking like an on/off feeling. I can tell my pocket will be a little lighter soon :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I managed to jack the car up as I had the heat shield rattling on my exhaust. After ripping that off I think I have a sticking caliper.

The rear drivers side squeels on rotating forward, and then almost grinds reversing. I can only guess it's a caliper repair job and a new pad? Either way it's out of my hands, but any suggestions are welcome. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
So I managed to jack the car up as I had the heat shield rattling on my exhaust. After ripping that off I think I have a sticking caliper.

The rear drivers side squeels on rotating forward, and then almost grinds reversing. I can only guess it's a caliper repair job and a new pad? Either way it's out of my hands, but any suggestions are welcome. :rolleyes:
Sticking calipers are typically due to dry slider pins which can be easily serviced at home.

Occasionally the issue is due to a sticky/worn caliper piston, but hopefully it is just your pin's.

Update: although I see that it's a rear caliper sticking, so perhaps the handbrake mechanism on that side that needs freeing up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts