2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rear shockers changed 2 weeks ago because of the clunking problems.Now they are constantly squeeking.
Should i take them back to Honda for this?

·
estranged
391 Posts
If you're not satisfied with any service/product you've received, you should indeed take it up with the supplier (so that's a yes :))

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have had mine replaced, and have since noticed a load creaking from rear left corner of the car. I am fed up with going to and from the dealers!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My rear shocks, fingers crossed, have so far been OK but being aware of the problems some folk have had on this forum, I am very aware of the potential trouble.
The sticker on the original ones of mine read SACHS, Made in Spain and carry the codings of IZ005 & SG-R23.(same for left & right)
Just wondered what your originals and replacement ones read?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sadly I've started to notice the reversing off the drive first thing in the morning squeak. I also got them to squeak by bouncing the back up & down, but the noise went away after the first couple of bounces. I won't do anything for the moment - I'll wait until it worsens or other things appear.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It may be a case of confusing the faulty shocks (an obvious and continuous condition) with wet-morning torsion beam syndrome. The Civ has rotating parts in it's rear suspension that can make a one-off creak first thing in the morning - especially if you go over an oblique ramp. This oblique action will cause the torsion beam to load up the anti-roll bar, and this will make a noise (and is quite OK).

A dealer will quickly be able to tell you if you have the faulty shocks, but I wouldn't worry about a little moan in the morning...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It may be a case of confusing the faulty shocks (an obvious and continuous condition) with wet-morning torsion beam syndrome. The Civ has rotating parts in it's rear suspension that can make a one-off creak first thing in the morning - especially if you go over an oblique ramp. This oblique action will cause the torsion beam to load up the anti-roll bar, and this will make a noise (and is quite OK).

A dealer will quickly be able to tell you if you have the faulty shocks, but I wouldn't worry about a little moan in the morning...

I keep hoping this is all it is that I hear most mornings after having been told my chassis is not on the list of dodgy shocks :D

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Recovered posts

Killing joker said:

Hi All,

I had my shocks replaced a while back (about March / April time) and they've been fine since - up until now. I did my 1st major long-haul trip in the Civic over to the Suffolk coast for a weeks holiday last week. It was fine going over there and after parking up I didn't use it for a day or two. Then when I went to pull away from it's parking spot, I got a kind of groaning / rumbling from the rear for a few seconds as I pulled off, but then it was quiet for the rest of that particular trip. Had another instance of it a day or so later, then again at the weekend when we were joined by a couple of friends who sat in the back - the noise was a lot worse and a lot more noticable this time, but again only when pulling away from being parked. One of our friends is a mechanic, and he commented that he thought it might be the suspension not being used to being compressed that much by the extra weight of rear passengers (I don't carry rear passengeres very often) and the rubbers creaking as a result??

Should I make (yet another - groan!) return trip to the dealer? What do you think?

Cheers,
KJ

3rd Honda said:

I had the shock absorbers replaced about a month ago. Quiet since until recently - now beginning to knock a bit again, especially with passengers in the back.

The quality control issues on this model civic are beginning to become a real pain. My last (USA Built coupe) civic had not a single problem in 3 years.

Ths (UK built one) has had barely a day without some problem being apparent!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just wondering if you guys read my thread on my creaking suspension? The dealers turned the spring the other way up and all the groaning/creaking/knocking sounds have gone!
Maybe somone on here can varify if some WD-40 or similar luricating oil sprayed on the spring mounts could be a temporary fix to see if this is the problem....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Bungle,

Thanks for the info. Problem is my dealer doesn't seem to want to listen much to suggestions made in the past, if anything it's as if they're p***ed off with me going back with one thing or another!

I haven't noticed too much of this happening since I've been at home, but in the mornings I reverse into a private access 'road' (more of a gravel track) to maybe any noises are masked by the crunching of the gravel??
Anyway, I'll continue to listen out for further anomolies.

KJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It is a tricky one. Mine is being lookead at again on Monday, with the fuel pump recall.
The creaking is most noticale when driving very very slowly over a bump, or off a ramp at an angle, as Pottsy said. But it isn't just once. The creak happens the whole journey, including speed bumps, driving round bends, accelerating, braking, driving over painted words, ants, everything!

The problem did go away for a while when they inverted the spring, but it has returned worse. The fact that it did go suggests they were in the right area, but didn't fix it properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts