2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had a squeeking sound happening for a few weeks now. it was pretty intermittent, but it's gotten to be a regular occurance.

It's not always reproducible, but it will happen when i'm not braking at all or under very slight braking. If i brake properly (like i'm coming to a stop or slowing to a crawl) it never squeeks. Also, if it's squeeking when i'm not braking and i put the brakes on, then back off, the squeeking will usually stop (for a while).

I've just had the car MOT'd and they noticed that one of the rear discs is slightly scored, so could this be related?

it's hard to tell where the squeek is coming from.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I had a squeeky front brake last year so took it to honda and they told me it was my break pads and discs, so I got them changed at what I think was around £250 got home and was still squeeking!!!
Took it back and they then said it was my caliper that might be seezed so they cleaned of the calipers got it back and you guest it still squeeking!!
Turns out when they cleaned the calipers they only did the drivers side not the passengers side which was at fault all along.Was a bit peed of with it cause I was planning on getting grooved discs and better pads

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I've got this same issue, under normal no squeak. But under ever so light braking, it squeaks. I've had issues with my brakes in recent times, from seizing etc, brake discs somehow grinding on the stone guard. Caliper taking off and cleaned, and front discs and pads changed. But it still just doesn't feel right. Might get all the calipers cleaned now.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh mate I know, Thats what I will be doing if it happens again but dont get me wrong worn pads can make a squeek aswell I'm sure.
yeah, but the pads on mine are alright for a while yet, so it's not due to them needing replacing.

spoke to a friend of mine and he thinks the calipers just need greasing and cleaning, so he's gonna see if he can hear which one it is and give it a go, see how it goes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got this same issue, under normal no squeak. But under ever so light braking, it squeaks. I've had issues with my brakes in recent times, from seizing etc, brake discs somehow grinding on the stone guard. Caliper taking off and cleaned, and front discs and pads changed. But it still just doesn't feel right. Might get all the calipers cleaned now.
how do you mean? is it still squeaking?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Mine was the same. After a drive check to see if the wheel is warm/ hot to touch. If so it's probably a seized caliper. I just cleaned mine and copper greased it and it's been fine for the last 2 years ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was the same. After a drive check to see if the wheel is warm/ hot to touch. If so it's probably a seized caliper. I just cleaned mine and copper greased it and it's been fine for the last 2 years ;-)
Touch where, exactly? I've touched the discs after a short drive (7miles), but couldn't feel a difference, really.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
The wheel itself will get hot if the calliper is binding. Well at least get warm anyway. I wouldn't recommend touching the disc. The face of the wheel is what I was referring to

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
how do you mean? is it still squeaking?

Yeah, the brakes are still squeaking under very light braking, as you said, it's only on a light touch of the brake pedal, under normal braking loads (as you would do normally coming to a stop) it's fine.

But it's definitely when the brake pedal is pressed lightly, which makes me believe it's brake related one way or another. Sticky caliper, old pads, worn pads/discs. I don't know till I can get it to the garage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts