2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a high pichted whistle/squeel from what sounds like my rear offside brake.

It is only there inbetween soft to medium braking, I can make it go away by either braking a little harder or softer.

Any idea what could be causing it? started about 2 weeks ago and it is annoying me now.

Cheers

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, ill get them checked, but when I had the service in september they told me that my brakes had only shown 10% wear for the 12 months previous.

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is possible, but I would have thought the noise would be there regardless of how heavy or light I was breaking.

It annoyed me so much I gave the brake pads a squirt with the pressure washer, a load of debris came out so I guess it isnt entirely out of the question.

Cheers

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Mines has started doing this too. I wonder if it's a wheel bearing?

Let me know if you find anything! My car is due for service end of April...

·
3,295 Posts
How did u get on??

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Mine is in at the moment with a similar issue. After giving it a bit of a run with a few vtec bursts and a bit of braking I get this awful squeeling. Goes away when I apply the brakes and comes back as I start accelerating again. Sure it's not the pads as they have jsut been checked and are fine.. plus if it were then the squeel would be during braking.
Honda told me on tuesday that they had adjusted something and the squeel had gone.... infact it was worse than before so it is bac k in there.
Annoyingly, like a trip to the Dr the squeel vanished as I approached the garage and I couldn't get it to return so no doubt they will deny all knowledge... or tell me they sorted it. We'll see.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I'm having this exact same problem, it's not the squeal bar as I got new discs and pads all round 2 months ago.

It's really starting to big me lol.

·
3,295 Posts
The noise isn't when applying brakes. Touching the brake actually stops the noise.

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's booked into bexlyheath on Monday.

They will take it for a test drive then stick it on the ramp for a look

My noise is only there under light braking, anything more than light baking and it stops, it seems most noticable when braking at about 30-40mph.

Of course im expecting it not to make any noise when its out on its test drive.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Hi,

I had the exact same problem appear a couple of weeks ago. The rear would start squeeling after driving for some time and when I just touch the brakes this would disappear. After a couple of weeks of this I noticed that my drivers side outer pad was very severely worn while the passenger side pad had atleast 4-5mm. So I thought this was due to the drivers side caliper being seized. When I took the brakes apart last weekend to change the pads and discs I noticed that the outer pad was worn down to almost nothing while the inner pad was worn at an angle because the pads were stuck on the carrier bracket making the pads wear unevenly. The caliper it self showed no signs of being seized so this was totally down to the pads being stuck in the carrier bracket. To make sure this wouldnt happen again I filed away some metal on the new pads (the two lugs which fit into the carrier) till the pads fit loosely as they were very firm before filing away the extra metal. I suggest to anyone getting their pads changed to make sure the pads do not stick in the carriers by filing the lugs a little.

MalithS

Attachments

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update, the service department took my car for a test drive, then had a look at the brake pads and disks.

Not sure if they actually heard the squeel, but they said they could see nothing wrong with either the pad or the disk.

Was hoping they would at least find a small stone or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts