2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm getting a squill from the from right wheel on and off. It happens even if coasting out of gear. Braking seems to stop it occasionally. One minute it's really loud then it just disappears. Happens at all speeds on and off. Anyone know what this could be?

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
sounds like the break pads catching the disk which would mean you have a partially seized caliper
it could be something as simple as the pads being tight in the cage or a seized piston

i would take the break pads out and give the cage a good clean to see if that cures it

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After more testing it's coming from the rear brakes. When I pull the handbrake up the noise gets a lot louder. Seems to get worse as the journey goes on. The discs weren't hot though when I got home and the noise still comes and goes. If it was the calliper sticking then why does it come in after a few miles on a dual carriageway with no brakes applied so I'm baffled

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
the same would apply to the back brakes as the front with the difference of the pistons are threaded to allow adjustment for the hand brake so have to be wound in or out ( they naturally wind out to auto adjust the hand brake )
check the pads are not tight/gummed up in the cage

what condition are the rear disks in ?

something that might be completely unrelated was a collapsed flexi hose going to the back brakes
this would allow fluid to flow to the pistons but not return and was making the brake seize on after the brakes was used a few times but would eventually let the fluid return
it had us baffled for a while that one

i'm not saying thats your problem it's just something i never came across before and now i check to make sure it's not contributing to sticking calipers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The garage can't see much wear on the pads but they think the centre of the pad might be worn so will take it off to look on Wednesday. I took the wheel off and the wheel moves freely and only slightly rubs the disc. Nothing looks stuck in there. The only difference with this wheel is my finger glides over the disc easier than the front ones. I hardly use my brakes and use them very gently so could it just need a few hard braking times for it to clear or is it the pad wear warning making the noise even though they don't need changing. Would a wheel bearing cause any of this?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the heavy braking but that didn't work. Comes after about 15 mins of driving and worse on bumpy roads. Soon as I hit the brakes or pull the handbrake up its a lot louder so definitely the brakes. Maybe they just need changing. Can see this is going to cost me lots of money!!!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was worn rear brake pads and the squeal was the warning system to say they were 90% worn. The fronts were also 85% worn as well. I bought the car from a main dealer under the Honda Approved scheme two and half months ago. Since then I done just 3k miles. Are they allowed to sell cars with that much brake wear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts