2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question.

5th year service due at the end of the week, price for a normal air filter is roughly £21, a k&n filter at £31 ish and a BMC on Demon Tweeks at around £40.

Now, the reason i thought it might be worthwhile is not for the performance as such (though occasionally, of course) but for better mileage, though its likely negligible. Im thinking that improved air flow = higher power output (1-2hp if im lucky i guess) which should = less strain on the engine to move along at the same speed. So, for example, it might be able to do 80 at 3,800rpm instead of 3,900, which would contribute to slightly better mileage. For the sake of an extra tenner (or so) is it even noticeable? Factor in the fact that they are washable (with a tenners worth of washing fluid stuff) so will eventually cost less than the standard ones every year or so, is it worth doing?

And if so, k&n or spend a little more and get the BMC one? I dont really know enough about the design of those filter to know which would have the most effect!?

Finally, whilst im on the subject, ive read various things on some forums about people avoiding these fancy air filters because by letting more air flow it increases the amount of gunk getting into the engine (not sure i believe that) which = bad. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Re: Oil filter, same sort of discussion though not around performance. A mate of mine who has had a type r for years recommended the HAMP filters available off eBay etc. Is there any real benefit when compared to, say, FRAM filters with a decent GM oil in it?

Steve

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Simple question.

5th year service due at the end of the week, price for a normal air filter is roughly £21, a k&n filter at £31 ish and a BMC on Demon Tweeks at around £40.

Now, the reason i thought it might be worthwhile is not for the performance as such (though occasionally, of course) but for better mileage, though its likely negligible. Im thinking that improved air flow = higher power output (1-2hp if im lucky i guess) which should = less strain on the engine to move along at the same speed. So, for example, it might be able to do 80 at 3,800rpm instead of 3,900, which would contribute to slightly better mileage. For the sake of an extra tenner (or so) is it even noticeable? Factor in the fact that they are washable (with a tenners worth of washing fluid stuff) so will eventually cost less than the standard ones every year or so, is it worth doing?

And if so, k&n or spend a little more and get the BMC one? I dont really know enough about the design of those filter to know which would have the most effect!?

Finally, whilst im on the subject, ive read various things on some forums about people avoiding these fancy air filters because by letting more air flow it increases the amount of gunk getting into the engine (not sure i believe that) which = bad. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Re: Oil filter, same sort of discussion though not around performance. A mate of mine who has had a type r for years recommended the HAMP filters available off eBay etc. Is there any real benefit when compared to, say, FRAM filters with a decent GM oil in it?

Steve
Hamp is upgraded version of honda oil filter, spoon, mugen, m&m, feels, j's use hamp.

I bought a hks panel filter off ebay 34 free delivery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Any change in engine performance will not affect the speed vs RPM, thats what your gearbox does lol, The Honda and K&N performance is very close, Honda actually did a good job designing the filters, with the main benefit of aftermarket filters being that they pretty much last forever just needing cleaned, as you say on a stock car any performance gain is neglible.

There has been no solid test on K20 filters to show flow vs filtration tests that I am aware of ( I have seen one on a forced induction car with apexi, blitz etc filters)

Most Hamp filters on ebay are fake ;) try looking for Tegiwa Imports ( they are genuine) GM oil??? General Motors lol, I reccomend castrol edge or Fuchs Titan Pro S, any oil from 0w30 to 10w-40 ( track use) is fine and with standard deviation suppled by Honda

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Any change in engine performance will not affect the speed vs RPM, thats what your gearbox does lol, The Honda and K&N performance is very close, Honda actually did a good job designing the filters, with the main benefit of aftermarket filters being that they pretty much last forever just needing cleaned, as you say on a stock car any performance gain is neglible.

There has been no solid test on K20 filters to show flow vs filtration tests that I am aware of ( I have seen one on a forced induction car with apexi, blitz etc filters)

Most Hamp filters on ebay are fake ;) try looking for Tegiwa Imports ( they are genuine) GM oil??? General Motors lol, I reccomend castrol edge or Fuchs Titan Pro S, any oil from 0w30 to 10w-40 ( track use) is fine and with standard deviation suppled by Honda
I always buy my hamp filters off tegiwa lol!!

I am enjoying my hks filter, alot better than the honda one but will see when i've done 1k miles. :)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
ahh fair play pal, I datalogged mine a fair bit and it dropped MAP pressure pretty much everywhere, TBH I done a fair few foam ones and they all did the same, only the paper corrugated ones seems to work well ( surface area) with Honda and K&N being the top two ( K&N by a smidge) Nuno reckons the BMC is better again my a small margain too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any change in engine performance will not affect the speed vs RPM, thats what your gearbox does lol
Fair enough lol. Though my point stands, its easier for the car to turn that rpm, so less fuel usage. Or something :p

As for the oil, i think i heard GM mentioned, presumably General Motors but its the stuff he's always put in his race car (i know, he's a family friend!) so it cant be too bad. That is 5w30.

So in summary, not worth it really for the air filter (on a stock type r) but maybe worth getting a hamp oil filter? Other than Tegiwa/ebay, any other places i can find hamp stuff?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
ahh fair play pal, I datalogged mine a fair bit and it dropped MAP pressure pretty much everywhere, TBH I done a fair few foam ones and they all did the same, only the paper corrugated ones seems to work well ( surface area) with Honda and K&N being the top two ( K&N by a smidge) Nuno reckons the BMC is better again my a small margain too.
My car is stock as hell lol! Nothin changed so that might be why??

When i change things i will go hks rsk or summat. :)

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Oilman on here will sort you out with the oil and hamp oil filter at a good price and you know its genuine (i bought from his site)

K&N are debateable i have one in my cts but you still need to clean it so thats another £15 for cleaner and oil for it. Cant hurt tbh

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Oilman on here will sort you out with the oil and hamp oil filter at a good price and you know its genuine (i bought from his site)

K&N are debateable i have one in my cts but you still need to clean it so thats another £15 for cleaner and oil for it. Cant hurt tbh
All air filters need cleaning or replacing. :)

Not a reason to call it debatable because of that reason.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
My car is stock as hell lol! Nothin changed so that might be why??

When i change things i will go hks rsk or summat. :)

so was mine pretty much back then, if a filter doesnt flwo it doesnt flow, anyway digressing lol

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Im thinking that improved air flow = higher power output (1-2hp if im lucky i guess) which should = less strain on the engine to move along at the same speed. So, for example, it might be able to do 80 at 3,800rpm instead of 3,900, which would contribute to slightly better mileage.
Hi Steve,
Changing the air filter can't change the engine RPM for a given speed - that's determined by the gearbox and final drive ratios, and the road wheel diameter. Incidentally, a lot of research and datalogging has been done by RELIC, and he's of the definite opinion that NO aftermarket air filters are in the same league as Honda ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Steve,
Changing the air filter can't change the engine RPM for a given speed - that's determined by the gearbox and final drive ratios, and the road wheel diameter. Incidentally, a lot of research and datalogging has been done by RELIC, and he's of the definite opinion that NO aftermarket air filters are in the same league as Honda ones.
Super, thanks. So, by Honda ones, do we mean the type that if i rang local motor factors and said i need a filter for a ctr 07, or do they mean ones specifically from a honda dealer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Genuine ones from a Honda dealer - more expensive, but the general opinion on here is that they're worth it.
How much is more expensive? £21 for standard, £31 for k&n. Also, im getting it done at a local garage, so id ned to get the filter from somewhere, do honda sell them over the counter?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Any Honda main dealer will sell them over the service counter AFAIK, or you can get them delivered from Cox Motors on here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts