2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come the end of July/start of August I will be trading in my current Clio for a Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC SE 5dr (09 reg) - As I'm planning to take this car to Japfest etc and I can't afford the insurance as a full time uni student for the Type R I was wondering if buying Type R skirts and bumpers second hand and fitting them on is an option, or is there to much size difference for this to be possible? I'm modding it but I don't want it to be chav-tastic so I was hoping just getting Type R body parts was possible! Has anyone done this before/is it an easy job?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Many people have done it before, you will need the full trim from a Type R, to include...

Rear Spoiler, Front and Rear splitters, front and rear splitter grilles, rear splitter grille reflectors, rear splitter exhaust triangles, both side skirts and all 4 wheel arches

Front and rear splitters come up from time to time as and when people upgrade to the GP kit, but they take the grilles/reflectors/triangles with them so they're parts you'd have to source separately.

Skirts and Spoilers come up less often, but if you're patient they'll pop up from time to time

As for wheel arches... 3 words spring to mind... rocking horse s**t

the arches and splitters will fix in place perfectly, but the skirts will leave a gap between the top of the skirt and the body, only noticeable with the doors open mind, so completely up to you if you want to fill the gaps or not.

I'm sure there will be guys along shortly to show you their 5 door type :typer: conversions but in the mean time have a read of this:

Adding Type R parts to a non-R car - Civinfo Wiki

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Oh, and to complete the look you'll need to replace your perspex front grille to the Sport or type R style

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome cheers pal! Going to favorite this forum for when I need it - Will likely be a more common poster when I actually get my civic and start working on it!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Have a look through the build threads to get some ideas. Quite alot of folk have done it.

One thing worth mentioning is that the cost of doing all of this would surely be quite a bit more than the difference in insuring a type r if its only the insurance that is putting you off.
Obviously of its the running costs aswell then thats more understandable.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
If you're worried about the running costs of the Type R, but want a car that still goes like stink if you want it to, and still want it to look like a Type R, I would go for a Type S 2.2 Diesel.

Then all you'd need to do is colour code the grey trim and voila, it's a Type R... just buy a Spoiler and front grille and hey presto.

so much cheaper than all the malarky of finding/fitting the type R gear to a 5 door.

I got fed up looking for all the kit for my 5 door, so after 4 years I finally just colour coded it and it looks epic compared to before.

I feel like I'm driving a new car after 4 years and it only cost me a couple hundred quid not several grand for an actual new car

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
p.s. you would have to declare your type R trim mods to your insurance company to stay legal, which may end up costing more anyway. whereas colour coding trim already on the car as standard does not need declaring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts