2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointed by my lack of multilingual range, I must relegate my initial salutation to Howzit! - the South African equivalent of any and all manner of cheerful, coloquial greeting.
I went for a test drive of the 1.8i Vtec and the 2.2 CTDi the other day. Differently fantastic but equally enjoyable. I'm leaning towards the petrol.
Would appreciate any pre-purchase helpful hints.
I've done a whirlwind tour of this forum - very impressed by the level of knowledge of the car illustrated by many of the "how to" posts.
Good to be aboard - thanks for having me along.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Disappointed by my lack of multilingual range, I must relegate my initial salutation to Howzit! - the South African equivalent of any and all manner of cheerful, coloquial greeting.
I went for a test drive of the 1.8i Vtec and the 2.2 CTDi the other day. Differently fantastic but equally enjoyable. I'm leaning towards the petrol.
Would appreciate any pre-purchase helpful hints.
I've done a whirlwind tour of this forum - very impressed by the level of knowledge of the car illustrated by many of the "how to" posts.
Good to be aboard - thanks for having me along.
You are very welcome, issit :)

Have fun reading while you wait. The wiki is particularly good.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Hello and welcome,
I drive a 1.8 ex vtec, and cannot comment on the diesel as I have never driven one, but I do find that my petrol version is quite thirsty....I do mostly urban/countryside driving and she does like her petrol:(

I don't know how much you are paying for your fuel, but here it is getting worse, we are getting robbed blind by the taxman!!:bandit:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kindly welcome gh and sallyt.
gh, I'm a little surprised to hear your lady is so heavy on the juice. Amoung the chief motivators for looking at this car were the (seemingly ambitious) offical fuel consumption stats. Not looking for another petroholic... I'm in the process of getting out of one.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Thanks for the kindly welcome gh and sallyt.
gh, I'm a little surprised to hear your lady is so heavy on the juice. Amoung the chief motivators for looking at this car were the (seemingly ambitious) offical fuel consumption stats. Not looking for another petroholic... I'm in the process of getting out of one.
If it helps. Lankie, I get around 35mpg (car reading) on short trips with the odd run, but if I fill up then do 150 miles or so on a day out I can come back with a reading of 47 mpg which probably relates to a real 42 or 43 mpg. I am very happy with that. It is still improving as it has just done about 1600 miles from new.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I am filling up around every 1 and a half weeks, I live very close to work, so most of my driving is running the kids around, etc.
I do like to drive hard, I have tried being reserved and keeping the fuel consuption gauge on.....but I end up turning it off and pressing the gas!!
I am averaging 36.5 mpg, but as I said that is town and country driving and relatively hard driving too!
Don't know if anyone can help you out with a civic diesel, but I had a 2.2 laguna estate diesel before this and it was better on fuel!
May I just also add that I love my civic, 18 months on and I still love driving it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would probably put myself comfortably to the right of centre on the driving enthusiasm spectrum ... not exactly Kimi Raikonen but I enjoy a decent dollup of pace every now and again - which didnt seem to be too much of a problem in either derivative.
My big question marks are around the rear screen(s) and visibility in the wet. I've read all the posts and it seems something you just gotta get used to. I'll likely get the parking sensors at the rear (we dont have the rear camera option in SA).

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
hi lankie i have had my 1.8vtec since october 07 fuel figures are just on 40 mpg around town and 47 ish onmotor ways. so all in all i am quite pleased.Go for it buy the petrol model! andrew deep blue vtec ipod rear sencers city pack its magic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts