2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Lisa* Alabaster Princess
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed a constant faint whirring noise when engine is running, as soon as I put my foot on the clutch it disappears instantly and on release comes back again. Any ideas? I'm rubbish at anything mechanical :(. I've really only noticed it as it has got colder.

I had the master cylinder changed two months ago and the squeaky clutch pedal is back too grrrr.

T.I.A

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
For what it sounds like is the
Clutch release bearing if you hear it when not engaging clutch ? Then disappears when you engage clutch I suspect it's this ? Only cheap to buy but don't know about labour costs ? I would only replace if you intend to do clutch shouldn't cause much of a problem unless you are going to rag it around a track ? I could be wrong someone else might have a clue but IMO I think it's the clutch release bearing ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
For what it sounds like is the
Clutch release bearing if you hear it when not engaging clutch
Its not that at all. Stop worrying the poor person :eek: When your foot is off the clutch, even a bad clutch release bearing will not make any noise, unless its siezed as there is little or no preload of the bearing against the fingers of the clutch pressure plate. General rule is if you hear more noise with your foot ON the clutch, the release bearing is a likely candidate. This is not the case here.

What you hear is just the normal mechanical noise of the gearbox input shaft. All cars do this to a greater or lesser degree. In other words, in neutral, there are still parts of the gearbox internals that are wizzing around, driven by the engine through the clutch, if your foot is off the pedal.

·
*Lisa* Alabaster Princess
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I'm just being too fussy and worrying about nothing. Either way both suggestions for the fault don't sound terminal so that makes me feel happier! Thanks again everyone.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone YO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.