2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

start up grinding sound

10K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  saif.mansour 
#1 ·
Hi most times when starting the car i hear a bad loud'ish grinding sound for 1 to 3 seconds. Car runs fine, just this sound. Some times it doesnt make it, other times it does. I've done over 210k km, so the car isn't new anymore.

Any ideas? Starter motor? PCV?

Any suggestions on what to check/do?

Cheers

#5 ·
I did the squeeze test on the PCV pipe and no real difference, so i guess it is not that.

Where abouts is the starter motor?

Might be the 50 degree VTC Actuator? 14310-RBC-003?? Seem like something that accords euros have issues with, same kinda sound and from the same general direction (left side of engine)

What do you all think? What can i check?

#6 · (Edited)
It won't be the PCV. Your description makes me think it's the starter motor failing to disengage perfectly, usually completely harmless and a trait of the car.

If it is the known issue of the "k20 sneeze", then as above it's not really a problem. Some people have gone to great lengths to cure it and it's still happened... I haven't seen one example of it causing any damage and seems far more common on the EP3 than any other, though also found in s2000's, DC5's. I remember a post on a different forum (more EP3 based) where someone was able to lube the starter motor appropriately and it helped - temporarily.

Could you take a video of the exact sound you're hearing?

I'm sure the forum would be able to pin point the issue if so.

#8 ·
exact same thing here! all required maintenance done, happens once every now and then. 70k mileage
the only thing i haven't done is timing chain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.