2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my 2.2 ex last Oct and she had a few of the regular issues which I've started to put right. Firstly sorted out the leaky boot. Took her to Honda garage about slightly corroded roof and she was about 2 weeks out of date for warantee cover :( so I've got some black metal paint and will try in the hotter weather - it's not terribly bad at the moment.

First thing was the wiper arms were corroded on both sides:
[/URL][/IMG]
So I removed them, sanded them down, and then sprayed painted them:
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then next up, the grey faded bumpers were killing me, so over a few days I removed them, cleaned them, sanded some scratches and then sprayed them gloss black. Didn't take a specific before picture but I'm sure you guys know what I mean ;)

Before:
[/URL][/IMG]

I then also removed the wheels (which were curbed on all 4) and sprayed them matt black. They came up so much better, I'm pleased with the result.
Before:
[/URL][/IMG]

After:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I also did the door handles and petrol cap. I followed advice on here and sprayed the cap whilst it was on. I also did my first door handle by removing it all (as described somewhere on this site). It took absolutely ages and you have to remove just about everything to get to the silver plastic handle. The problem was it's so fiddly putting it all back together that the some of the paint got scratched. So with the drivers handle I just carefully masked it all up and sprayed it in situ.

[/URL][/IMG]

Lastly, whilst I had the front bumper off (which is also a mission!) I removed the laser beam and took it to bits and sprayed inside. It's not a sports grill (which is what I will get eventually) but since I planned to change it at some point I felt there was nothing to lose in having a play with it.
Here's the finished look:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Next up is doing something with the red beam at the back..

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Looking good mate, very impressed with your courage and the end result on everything you've done! How hard is it to take apart the front perspex grill to spray it?
I've put spi vision on the back of mine (too much red for my liking)...

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I took the front 'beam' off whilst I had the front bumper off, although I think there is a guide somewhere on here which explains how you do it with the bumper on.

The unit is sealed heavily with a white glue/sealant so I gently prised it apart. Take your time. Then all the bits inside just slot together and are held in with small screws (with a star shaped head I think - possibly T12). I undid all the screws, removed and then cleaned the components and then sprayed them matt black. I did back and front. There was also 2 coffee coloured pieces of plastic in the unit which I chose not to put back because they weren't black.
The logo'd area was black anyway, with a silver H, so I masked it up, and then gave it a quick polish before refitting.
I then added clear sealant all around the seal (although there was plenty of the old stuff in place) and fixed the unit together. I put a brick in a cloth and weighted it down for 20mins to help the seal.
Then just popped it back on.

It all makes perfect sense as I write this, but feel free to ask if you have more questions.
[smilie=coolup.gif]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice, I have just got my 06 plate and notice the wiper arms are a bit pitted etc so might do the same :)

The trim on mine is also grey so stands out like a sore thumb did you get colour coded black or just off the shelf? and how many coats did you do

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi mate,

The wipers are quite easy to tidy up, and really make a difference.

The paint on the bumpers was gloss black and I used several coats. I didn't use a primer because I didn't want it to show when they (eventually) pick up the odd scratch. Like you I guess, I got pig sick after polishing the car to a nice shiny black only to have glaring grey bumpers all around it. My view was anything has to better than that so I gave it a go.
Did it over 4 days, 1 side 1 day, 1 side next day, rear bumper next day, front bumper.
My advice would be give yourself time to give them a good clean and sand off any scratches before spraying. Also, be careful with the clips on the side panels, they're brittle. The long side panels which run under the doors actually slide out - just give em a knock with a rubber mallet from the front wheel arch end.:D
Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So last week managed to get some more bits done.

I bought the service plus pack from Cox's (thank you so much matt)
Genuine Honda Civic 2.2 2006-2011 Diesel Major PLUS Service kit [GHCDMPSK0611] - £111.46 : Buy Genuine Honda Parts, Honda Car Parts & Honda Spare Parts Online

and have to say all the products were spot on.

I did a complete oil change with oil filter. Also changed the air, pollen and fuel filter after following the guides on here. Fuel filter was a bit of a mission but did it in one day.

Also, I've managed to repair both SOD units in the wing mirrors, so have folding wing mirrors also!

I'm now trying to remove the egr valve to give it a clean up. No success so far because I can't loosen the nuts underneath that screw in vertically. I'll keep trying...

Overall, coming along nicely so very happy - and tons of thanks to all the posters on this forum regarding the above fixes. :D

·
Administrator
18,053 Posts
Well done, keep it up.

The EGR bolts are a bit fiddly. To loosen them try squirting some WD40/similar over the top and bottom of the bolts, you can get to both ends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts