2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: over the last few days my starter button has failed me on the first go.
is this a common fault? has anyone else had the same trouble?

MIlano red Type R GT. Front & rear skirts. Rages & stickers.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Does it not start the car at all? You have to press and hold the button, when I test drove the Type-R I didn't know this, it fired up at a single press, but when I test drove the diesel, I relised you had to press and hold the button, might sound obvious, but I didn't realise.. (Obviously the diesel takes about 1.5 - 3 seconds to start)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers smeg.
when i press it the first time it just kicks a bit then fully dies but on the second go it starts.
think it might be a trip to the dealer if it keeps it up.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
:mad: over the last few days my starter button has failed me on the first go.
is this a common fault? has anyone else had the same trouble?

MIlano red Type R GT. Front & rear skirts. Rages & stickers.
AFAIK this might be a temporary problem with the immobiliser (failed code read from key transponder) - if it occurs again, check if the orange light "immobiliser" is on. When you try again it is usually OK because the code is re-read

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep I'd go along with what Civicfan is saying - I had this problem with an 06 plate Astra SXI - it needed something called a Column Integration Module replaced...that and a pile of other stuff.. what a pile of XXX!

Anyway if you see the yellow light flash its likely to be the immobilizer. When you have the keys in the ignition make sure the key isn't covered by a key ring or indeed another key! :D

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Silly question here guys, but does the CTR need just a quick press or a press and hold until it starts? Just before I placed my order they didn't have a CTR for me to drive and I couldn't book a test drive through Honda being under 25, so the guy gave me a shot of the 2.2 for the fact I had never driven a Civic ever!

I made the mistake of pressing the button once and getting not much and then haveing to hold it in until it started, but when I did get to test drive the CTR the salesman drove it out to the middle of nowhere first so I could feel the real power (jings he hammered it!), but as I never started the car I didn't get a chance to push the big red button for myself :(

So when I do eventually get my car i'm just checking its the same as the 2.2 (press and hold)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
When I test drove the Type-R the guy turned it off, so I started it, it started striaght away, but I think that was more down to the fact it was warm, you have to press and hold the button..

I am too under 25, but they still let me test drive it, I drove the Type-R first, then the diesel 5 door, then a 1.8 Type-S finally ordering the 2.2 Type-S

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Thats what I thought, just checking.

Guess you didnt try and book the test drive via the honda site, they ask for your date of birth and as I was under 25 they wouldn't let me book it that way.

Had to drive the 2.2 first as the CTR in the showroom at the end of July wasn't going to be registed until 1st September and they didn't have another demo as the guy who owns the company sold it to some D**K who came in demanding that he got one there and then! But soon as the first came I got my shot!

Would have had a cheek saying I couldn't of had a go, considering they had taken a grand off me for my deposit on my Type R lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the CTR you need to keep it pressed for about 1 second. Same as you would have done when turning a key really.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you talk to your local dealer about this issue then i think you will find there is now a bullitin that states if this problem occurs then a new flywheel is required, i suggest talking to them :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Starter button

Very strange as my S Type GT 07 wouldn't start 1st time on pressing starter button tonight coming back from work. The car had been sitting for about 10hrs.

I didn't notice any lights on the dash thou..... in a hurry as the wife had the dinner on ;)

This is the second time this has happened over 2 weeks!!

Rogie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everybody.

it has not done it for a couple of days now so maybe it was just a tick.
when it wouldn't start on the first go it did not matter how long the button was held down, it was as dead as a dead mans dead thing. just a small turnover and that was it. half a second maybe.
i will keep my fingers crossed for a bit else it is back to the dealers.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Its a nice feature having a big red start button, but why have a key as well? if you put key in you might as well start car with it.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Its the in thing to do and you will find that most still have to put a key into the ignition before using the starter button.

If they don't have a proper Key, they have key cards. Only a few actually have remotes which means you only have to have it with you in order to open the car and start it without inserting a car into the dash or putting a key into the ignition (option on the ST)

Honda are the only company i've seen with the Red button though. better than a black rubber one like some (most)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My type R has failed to start now on about 20 occasions you press the red button you here the wiz of the starter but dosent start second time you press it starts know problem will be getting it checked on friday

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Re starter buttons, sorry to go against the grain here, but Renault's installation in the Scenic is a lot more intelligent than Honda's.

On diesels one tap of the starter button, the car would wait for the glow plugs to go out and then churn the starter motor until the car fires. Also, it would not start if the clutch pedal was not depressed. Very useful as we are now told to leave the car in gear to ensure it stays where you leave it when you park it[smilie=cheeky-grin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts