2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
im the opposite my diesels have been the best most reliable cars ive had
but i do agree and advise some that diesels are no good for short journey people
I'm with you.... I do a daily 64 mile round trip commute and Diesel has been my saviour. Diesel is a false economy if you only potter about the doors but great if you do long journeys.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was doing 140 miles a day in my diesel before the pandemic hit. Nearly all motorway. I'd rather pay extra petrol than all the stuff added into the diesel ownership. If I was to go out and blow £6K on a car, I'd buy the 2012 2.2 iDTEC in a heart beat. But buying £2,000 old Euro 4 diesel's is asking for problems. IMHO. I only pay for cars what I don't care about losing. As that's all I see buying a car as - a loss. The car will pay for itself in reliability, but I ain't one to have lots of money set up in a vehicle depreciating more by the day. Also I don't have a driveway, so my cars get beaten up. I wouldn't even bother claiming for my car if it got hit & run on the street.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
While I agree, I would also add that buying too cheap is a false economy as you could be buying a Lemon that has been totally neglected and could cost you as fortune for its upkeep. One of the best bargains I ever had was a K Reg Mazda 323F (Pre-Ford) that I picked up for £600... It had 147K on the clock that did concern me but it did me proud for the two year I owned it and the only thing is cost me was x2 tyres for the approx. 30K miles I added to it... Sadly it went to the Mazda Yard in the Sky when the head gasket went but it owed me nothing so can't complain. Worst car I ever owned was an almost new Rover 400 but I'll not go into that as the list of issues with it would take me hours. Put it this way, it went through x3 K Series Engines all due to Head Gaskets failing, apparently a very common issue with the K Series.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Rovers of that period were not the finest examples of British automotive engineering.
Mind you I don't think they rusted as badly as anything Ford threw together.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
Rust wasn't the issue with it, blowing engines was.... Oh! and one of the engines the timing belt went too.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm pretty sure some of them Rover engines or Rover design was used in the old MK3 Vauxhall Astra's, sure enough they had head gasket issues as well. But the vast majority of Vauxhall petrol engines have head gasket issues, even the well maintained ones. They're cheaply made garbage. Now they're just all Peugeot's with lesser options to the Peugeot model. If you buy the exact same car, but a Peugeot you get electronic aids such as dirt/gravel/snow terrain option, but the Vauxhall equivalent doesn't have the option.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
didn't the early Lotus Elise have the K series engine?
Think they had gasket trouble too - Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious - kept the tradition going

·
i-Vtec
3,112 Posts
But the vast majority of Vauxhall petrol engines have head gasket issues, even the well maintained ones
Basing that on what? I had Mk2 & Mk3 Cavaliers, Corsa D(the wife's car) and Vectra C with no head gasket issues. I had my Vec C 8 years and was active on the Vec C Forum for that time and can never remember head gaskets being an issue over the entire range of engines. Not saying there wasnt someone with a blown head gasket, but certainly not a known issue like chocolate M32 gearboxes, DMF's, Inlet manifold swirl flaps, failed water pumps on the Cdti was an issue.
As Wilmo says the only car I ever heard of having a head gasket "issue" was the rover K series.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just a quick question can I get to the starter motor from above to give it a knock ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Basing that on what? I had Mk2 & Mk3 Cavaliers, Corsa D(the wife's car) and Vectra C with no head gasket issues. I had my Vec C 8 years and was active on the Vec C Forum for that time and can never remember head gaskets being an issue over the entire range of engines. Not saying there wasnt someone with a blown head gasket, but certainly not a known issue like chocolate M32 gearboxes, DMF's, Inlet manifold swirl flaps, failed water pumps on the Cdti was an issue.
As Wilmo says the only car I ever heard of having a head gasket "issue" was the rover K series.
You're speaking of the older Vauxhall's. I'm speaking of one in-particular engine in the '97 Astra's. I think it was the 1.6 engine. - Also the newer Vauxhall petrol engines have head gasket issues. Google them, the Zafira's the Astra H's all have notorious head gasket issues. I know people that own these vehicles and had head gasket issues. I've been offered a few for sale with head gasket or overheat issues. Even the Astra H VXR is notorious for blowing head gaskets. The diesel 2.0 litre with the 6 speed gearbox in the Astra, Vectra etc are also well known for failures.

And there's no improvement, I won't even continue on Vauxhall's unreliability.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
What do you expect when the company doesn't care about it's workforce, hacks them off royally and then finally sells them to the French?

·
4,490 Posts
And back off topic again. :eek:
How about helping Impo out instead of cluttering up the thread with other stuff.:LOL:

PS. I would if I could.;)

·
i-Vtec
3,112 Posts
Google them, the Zafira's the Astra H's all have notorious head gasket issues.
The diesel 2.0 litre with the 6 speed gearbox in the Astra, Vectra etc are also well known for failures.
Zafira A/B and Astra H had pretty much the same engines as the Vectra C, again I never saw "notorious" head gasket issues on these engines in 8 years on the vectra forum, I can't even remember one off the top of my head. The Y20DTH/Y22DTH was one of the most under stressed and reliable engines Vauxhall ever put in a vectra/zafira/astra. The only known issue I ever saw on this engine was the diesel leak off pipes perishing. Z16XE/Z18XE/Z18XER's never put a foot wrong. Z19DTH had many many issues but none involving the head gasket. The Z22YH had many well documented fuel pressure regulator/HP fuel pump issues but no notorious head gasket failures I remember. The Saab sourced Z20NET was a very very reliable engine as well.

I did actually remember one car/engine that was well known for head gasket failures. Fiats 1.2 "Fire" engine was an excellent engine but had a weak head gasket at higher miles.
Head Gasket failures are much less frequent these days due to modern thermostats failing in the open position instead of shut.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
I think we need a Rover K Series thread to vent our frustrations :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If anyone still cares it was the flywheel knackerd, teeth stripped on about 20% of the flywheel, and extremely worn and flat on the rest .
Cg said they would look after me by selling me the replacement kit for £550 !!!
However I’ve gone back to LUK DMF and clutch. Parts £360 labour £340.
going to keep the car , still only done 83k

·
Registered
105 Posts
On topic “robbing barstewards” 😳 off topic had a few cars with Rover K series engine and never had a head gasket go, worst engine ever Vauxhall 2.2dti in my Vectra SRI, that thing was a pig 😡

21 - 40 of 42 Posts