2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most reliable car 2013 | Auto Express

Civic is ranked quite low here :(

I'm considering a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG as well: better fuel economy, stronger engine but I'm worried about DSG reliability- especially the DSG7.
On the plkus site, I can buy extra warranty so the Skoda will be covered for 5 years vs. 3 for the Civic. Damn, it's a tough choice.

·
Registered
616 Posts

I'm considering a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG as well: better fuel economy, stronger engine but I'm worried about DSG reliability- especially the DSG7.
On the plkus site, I can buy extra warranty so the Skoda will be covered for 5 years vs. 3 for the Civic. Damn, it's a tough choice.
That is the 8g civic.
You noticed the Jazz up high right? Why would this civic be any less reliable?

Havn't you read anything about the 9g and all the positive things the owners has to say?
And why would Skoda have a "stronger" engine? What do you mean by stronger anyway? Horsepower or reliability?
I don't believe VW or Skoda makes better engines. That's like the number one thing about Honda - their bulletproof engines.
The 9g also looks alot better then any Skoda imo and the interior is probably better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's the 8gen but the 9gen will probably rank similar. It's funny because the 8gen was ranked no 2 "Used car of the year" in Denmark.

By stronger engines, I mean more torque due to turbo.

I do believe Honda as a brand is more reliable than Skoda/VAG. The auto 1.8 9 Gen is a little slow though and the pram can JUST be put in the boot of the civic. Octavia has more space.

I don't care about Jazz as I want the Civic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
False. Octavia 1.4TSI drivers report an average of 43MPG, some even as low as 36.
9G Civic 1.4 i-VTEC is capable of over 50. The 1.6 i-dtec easily 65+.
Why on earth would you compare civic 1.4 and Skoda 1.4 which is turbo charged? It's equivalent in BHP to the 1.8 I-Vtec and has bags of pull compared to the R18.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why on earth would you compare civic 1.4 and Skoda 1.4 which is turbo charged? It's equivalent in BHP to the 1.8 I-Vtec and has bags of pull compared to the R18.
9g is a big leap in quality from 8g so it will not be ranked similiar I'm sure. You obviously havn't read anything people have to say on this forum.
You don't care about the jazz ... heh.. it's a lower priced and smaller vehicle then the Civic. Do you really think it's more reliable?
Offcourse peoples OPINIONS from that survey is 100% accurate...
Maybe if you buy a smaller cheaper car, you don't have as high expectations on for example interior build quality and ride harschness and the likes and rank it higher then you would if you bought a more expensive car and felt it had the same quality as a cheaper one.

You do know the turbo is configured to be eco and not for power right?
How many horsepower does this beast of Skoda engine got? 140?
Bags of pull? Are we talking automatic or manual gearboxes here?
If you compare to the 1.8 automatic then yes it will feel slower then a dual clutch gearbox.
And you want reliability and talking about turbo+DSG, two things most likely to fail before the engine does.

And isn't Octavia the equalent of the Accord in the Honda range?
The civic got one of the largest boot of its class.
Maybe you need the new Civic Wagon that will arrive later or buy a smarter/smaller trolly...

Reactions: bjn

·
Registered
145 Posts

If I were you I would go for a Skoda or a similar car, inclusive the 5 year warranty, you could need it. :cool:
In many of your threads, I think you indicate some skepticism for Civic. You previously asked the Honda fans here at Civinfo about "whether you should buy a Civic or not" ... or "I'm now considering a Skoda Octavia" given a test that does not fall out of Honda's favor, and then you expect an objective answer from all of us who love Honda cars here on Civinfo??

Ask rather more practical or technical questions to the Honda Civic on these pages, then all the nice and dedicated people here will be happy to assist you with honest and reasonable answer. But do not ask the same people to "help" you choose between Honda and other car brands, it is a waste of time on these pages.

Happy hunting and I hope you choose the right car for you and your family at the end [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Registered
58 Posts
just lolled at the thought of considering a skoda over a Honda for reliability. plus the skoda has a turbo. turbo = shortened lifespan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
also forgot to mention the recent "warranty direct" reliability statistics. 1 in 27 vw group engine reported engine problems. 1 in 330 Honda engines have a reported engine fault. Nuff said.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't consider an Octavia for reliability. That's the weak point of VAG. I consider the it for more practicality, more warranty, torque and acceleration. Still cannot decide it I can live with the 1.8 auto accel being 11.2 secs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't consider an Octavia for reliability. That's the weak point of VAG. I consider the it for more practicality, more warranty, torque and acceleration. Still cannot decide it I can live with the 1.8 auto accel being 11.2 secs.
purchase the skoda for heaven's sake and move on!:p

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had 2 Octavia's - both 1.9 TDi's, one manual and one DSG.

I had one major failure - more of that to follow. Basically good sound cars but both had niggling warranty issues - wheel bearing were and ongoing issue.

The one major failing was with the DSG, but can't blame the manufacture for that. Car had been in for a drive shaft change under warranty when the gearbox failed on the way home. Turns out the mechanic had left a socket set on the in the engine bay, this rattled off, hit the drive shaft and was propelled into the gearbox resulting in loss of all oil and total failure of the box. Dealer tried to claim it was a something thrown up from the road but position of the damage made this all but impossible and close inspection showed up marks where wrench had hit the driveshaft and pinged into the box. Dealer eventually coughed up for a new gearbox.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Thinking of buying a skoda or "vag bag" for reliability is ridiculous . They are more unrealiable than honda all round . And as for owner ship and costs I couldn't buy one for te badge alone but forget in that your buying a car that isn't bespoke u will see part and items that are fitted across the vag range. 9th gen derv for its sins in the looks department will do 50 60mpg all day long

1 - 20 of 57 Posts