2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently got a 2007 civic type S GT. This is my second car. Previously I had a 2004 Mini cooper.

I absolutely love my civic so far. Though have only been able to drive it a tiny bit.

What I wanted to ask is, is the steering feeling somewhat "loose" normal?
I know i'm coming from a hydraulic to an EPS power steering car which will make a big difference. But I just wanted to check this was normal.

The steering is very light, which I don't mind. But what I mean is, when driving about, if the car hits imperfections in the road or the road angle changes etc, it feels as though the car may veer slightly in one direction or the other with very little physical feedback on the wheel.

Of course if I hit a big bump or something the wheel will pull, but small stuff the car seems to just be a tiny bit unpredictable.
On the motorway in the mini I could basically hold the steering wheel at mid-mark and it would go dead straight. And If I wanted to I could confidently FEEL without looking if anything changed. But in the civic the car could turn a degree to the right and I wouldn't know other than the visual aspect. I couldn't feel it through the wheel.

In the civic I feel like I have to hold it and constantly adjust ever so slightly.

Is this just due to EPS working very different?

The steering works fine, and if I make a tiny movement one way or the other the wheels will follow. Its just that it feels as if now and then small movements are made without my input. Or more accurately, the steering wheel doesn't feed the small movements of the wheels as i'm driving back to me. It just feels so much less "tactile"

is this normal?

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Have you had your tracking checked?

Maybe you need a bit more toe in at the front?

Are all of your tyres pressures even across the axles?

What about tyre wear, same tyres across the axles?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep had the tracking/alignment done recently.
Tyre wear is different on all four tyres (and different brand of tyre)
So I'm guessing that could be it

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Am I imagining things or have you posted a list of issues ?

Having a different brand of tyre on each corner points away from previous careful ownership to me.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've posted a few, though if i'm honest, most are nitpicky. The only serious one was the gearbox, which the garage is currently fixing free of charge under the warranty so i'm not worried about that.

Other than that, just the wipers, which was fixed after I cleaned the motor, and then this, which is suuper minor, and I genuinely wasn't sure if it was actually an issue or just me overreacting to the different feel of EPS vs hydraulic.

The rest of the car is great, it drives great and is in impeccable condition, I've just been a bit paranoid getting the small stuff ironed out.

I think the reason for the tyres was because this car was actually repossessed. Guy bought it, things changed (or poor planning) and so he couldn't afford the proper upkeep (hence the cheap tyres) and eventually it got repossessed.

Though he does seem to have kept up the service history in full which is nice (and I did call the garages to check it was legit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts