2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My steering when on full lock and driving slow enough to hear things, sounds creaky, as though the steering components are old or need greasing up.

I can hear it when I'm doing a 3 point turn, or turning into a parking space.

Is this normal, or would something need replacing?

It's a 2007 2.2 diesel. With about 70k miles.
Had shocks, springs and drop links changed at 65k.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean the top mount of the shock absorber? The part that's in the engine bay?

Or take the wheel off and the mount for the brake disc area?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again, but I'm still not 100% sure where you mean.

the shock absorber/spring mount at the top in the engine bay.
Do you mean that part, but just inside the top of the wheel arch?

Or do you mean the actual wheel hub itself - where the brake disc is located - the top part of that?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
thanks again, but I'm still not 100% sure where you mean.

Or do you mean the actual wheel hub itself - where the brake disc is located - the top part of that?

This mate ^^^^

·
Gaz
686 Posts

This mate ^^^^
how do u get to that? from the wheel or in the engine bay?
and where do you spray the wd40?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is 2010 fn2 and it started to have creaky sound from the steering wheel or somewhere front when I turn while slow speed, nothing happens while driving 50km/h or up. The creaky sound appears when I turn and when it return, not loud but start to get a bit annoying and want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this problem on an old car, it was CV joint, it turned into a clicking noise, then into a clunk. Check the rubber hasn't burst on the joint. In an empty carpark, try doing a clockwise circle on full lock, then an anti-clockwise circle on full lock. It might help identify which which side has the problem, or if its both sides.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ive had this problem with my civic and it is the cv joint rubber covering that causes the noise.

Ive had a mirror behind to check it and there are no splits/tears/cracks on it anywhere. Ive checked it when full lock has been on both sides and its in really good condition.

My civic was doing it when i was turning left at very slow speeds (Parking and pulling out at junctions turning left). I got a bucket of warm soapy water and a small sponge and gave the rubber boot a good soaking and clean, getting into all the little areas where some dirt may have been trapped.

If you dont have a ramp, like me, then get a small shaving mirror and prop this up so you can see behind the wheel when you've got it on full lock.

For about a week the noise completely went away but has slowly come back. Its a lot better than it was though and although annoying, the fact the rubber boot is in good condition and not cracked or ripped is the most important thing.

The wierd thing is when turning right at slow speeds, there is no noise! The rubber must be slighlty more flexible on that side, hense no noise!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts