2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have just noticed over the past few months or so when reversing with a medium - full lock on steering wheel or turning right slowly on medium-full lock, I get a slight knock or slight knotch when turning the wheel which I feel through the steering wheel.

Hard to explain, anyone else have something similar? I have got first service soon and was going to mention it then

Cheers

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
May be partially siezed top strut bearing causing the spring to twist whilst turning and then banging back into place in certain steering positions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had similar problem with my car and think it was loose bolts at the front of the car. To fix we got the car over pit and checked all bolts where tight, turned out 1 on each side where slightly loose, tightened tham havent heard noise since.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hi guys

I have just noticed over the past few months or so when reversing with a medium - full lock on steering wheel or turning right slowly on medium-full lock, I get a slight knock or slight knotch when turning the wheel which I feel through the steering wheel.

Hard to explain, anyone else have something similar? I have got first service soon and was going to mention it then

Cheers
I had a knock-knock noise which appeared in similar circumstances (although disappeared when I pressed the clutch in).

From the outside, it sounded like a metallic clink clink sound.

It was repaired under warranty but I think that it was the CV joint(s).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Similar noise on mine. A sort of 'clunk' or brief crack sound. It's felt through the steering wheel when doing slow but heavy turns and sounds like it's towards the top of the steering column.

It's not much but does it now and again and usually at least once on my 30 min trip to and from work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
these knocks,clicks,notches etc etc are due to the subframe. it can be cured by removing the strenthening plates, cleaning between the subframe and sparaying some grease inbetween. tighten up and hey presto, no more noise. honda describe it as stick/slip of the subframe.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump

Car has been to garage and apparently feeling a slight knock in the steering on the odd occasion is a common issue with type r's and there isn't a fix for it?

Any further people had issues so I can bring this up with them again as it is getting annoying

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had something similar with my Type S and had the steering rack replaced under warranty which fixed it

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I have the same, I've had it in other cars too. Honda - 'part of the cars characteristics', I'd love a quid for every time they said that.... con artists!
In my previous cars it has been the CV joints and / or drop links. I'll be taking mine to the trusted mechanic I have used for years, not to honda!

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer say they can't find anything wrong or hear any clicking. What seems odd is that I have had my car back 3 days and it hasn't done it since :confused: - Before it went in, it was doing it daily, I had friends drive the car and they could feel / hear it also

I have been asked to keep a note of when it happens, speed etc and go back if it is still happening. It is all on record so even if the car falls out of warranty, it can be fixed without me having to cough up

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
I get it on mine when reversing on full lock .. clunk heard/ felt through the wheel.. only does it occasionally... i not that im worried cause if it gets worsre it will be easier to find... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts